Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Code 33 after new battery install???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code 33 after new battery install???

Do you think there is any relation to this at all??

The car is an '87 Iroc 350TPI and has been running beautifully for the past 6 years. The other day my battery took it's last breath beyond recharging so I bought and installed a new battery. I drove around for about 10-15 minutes and then the ses light came on. I checked the codes and got a 33...MAF code.

Right before the ses light came on, the car had no throttle response after about half throttle and it kinda chugged and surged. There was also a very strong "raw fuel" smell coming from my exhaust.

When I got home, I checked the connection to the MAF and it was fine so I disconnected the battery for a few minutes, to reset the ecm.

When I started it up, it acted just
like the the car normally would IF the MAF was unplugged and it immediately set another code 33. I assure you, the MAF was plugged in.

Could it be that after 15 years, the original MAF finally just puked???
Or do you think the new battery has something to do with it? Could the new batttery have possibly "overloaded" the MAF or one of it's relays??

I've been through the archives searching "code 33" and I haven't found any that cover a code 33 being set right at initial start-up. Or anyone that has experienced a MAF code after a battery install.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Torq

Last edited by TorqueMonster; 04-15-2002 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-15-2002, 03:07 PM

ttw
Old 04-15-2002, 03:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First thing is first: replace the relays, make sure all of the connections are fine. If this fails, you may want to borrow a good maf to see if yours is toasted or not.
Old 04-15-2002, 03:17 PM

I replaced he relays for the MAF today.
There was no change. Still runs rough and still sets a code 33.

I really don't want to spend $200 on a new MAF and it not cure the problem.
I have heard of this happening to a lot of people.

Does anybody have any ideas??

One more thing...while the car was running today I tapped on the MAF with the butt of a screwdriver and it did nothing. So then I unplugged the MAF while the car was still running and there was no change in the way it ran..at all. So I'm beginning to think that the MAF does need replaced...I'm just a little bit sceptical.

Someone please talk to me???