Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Please Please Help (Please...?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 12:00 PM
Supreme Member

Location: "No one cares if you're in before the lock!" - Best quote ever.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Please Help (Please...?)

Ok, my always-helpful board reps, here's the problem, with the symptoms....after the car sits for overnight, maybe a little longer, when it's started the next day, the idle is HORRIBLE - fires up, climbs to 1200, spikes down to 600, back up to 900, drops back down to 500....it's all over the board. Once the car's been out driving for about, 5-10 steady minutes, though, the idle returns to it's normal 600-700 that it always used to run at. However, though it does run smoother, I swear I can feel the fuel cutting for a split second every now and then - like, if I accelerate on WOT, it'll speed up...then maybe the revs'll drop just a little bit halfway up the tach. It's hard to explain, basically it sounds like I'm not getting all the fuel I need all the time. So, what do you guys think..? Simple plug/wires, maybe fuel filter, or fuel pump....? What else could the problem be...? It happened once a few weeks ago, after sitting a night...but after driving it for a week straight after that, the problem never returned, until recently. I'm hoping it's something I can handle myself, as I'm doing my best to subscrible to the theory of "paying a shop = evil when you can do it yourself"....any help would be MUCH appreciated.:hail:...'87 2.8 MPFI, if it matters. (Injectors..? Hmm......)
Old 04-16-2002, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another thing to look for, aside from what you were thinking is, a vaccuum leak. What you should do is with the car idleing get some flamable brake cleaner (do not use non flamable) and spray it around your intake and vaccuum hoses. If there is a spike or raise in the idle, bingo; thats your vaccuum leak! I would check things over for any open ports but using the brake cleaner works very well.