Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

brake booster vaccum leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake booster vaccum leak?

if i had a vaccum leak at my carb where the brake booster line hooked up, what would i see as far as symtoms.. reason im asking is one day i was tightening that hose when i turned it wrong and kind of crimped it shut, not all the way but the line is twisted.. would my RPM's be higher then normal or somethin? having troble starting the car?
Old 06-17-2002, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 IROC
If the brake booster has a vacuum leak, you can find this out by letting the car sit for a while after it has run. Leave it over night to start. Get in the car, and without turning the car on, press the brake pedal. You should have 2 pumps of the brake that will have vacuum assist. After that, the brakes will no longer have any assist. If the brakes have no assist to start off in the morning, it could be because there is a leak somewhere in the booster allowing it to bleed off the vacuum.

A typical vacuum leak near the carb or manifold will create the problems you listed. Check to make sure there are no small holes in the hard line that runs from the carb to the hose off the brake booster. If there is, make up a new line, or go to the wreckers and find a good one.

Hope this helps
Old 06-18-2002, 12:33 AM

thanks for the reply! one more thing.. with that brake booster line that goes to the carb, will it hurt anything if that line is crimped down a little? reason i am asking is i tryed to undo the line and twisted it a little by mistake.. will this pose as a threat?
Old 06-18-2002, 11:04 AM

heh anyone? would this block important fluids trying to get through? restrict important flow?
Old 06-18-2002, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 IROC
As long as it isn't completely blocked off or has any holes in it, I wouldn't worry. The only thing that line is used for is to create a vacuum in the brake booster. It transfers the vacuum from the engine and stores it as a reserve in the brake booster.