Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Weird ignition problem, car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird ignition problem, car won't start

well, just a week ago i thought i solved my misterious ignition problem by replacing the distributor, ignition module, and coil, but i guess i was wrong.
driving back from work on firday my car died on the light off the offramp off the highway. I wouldnt start while trying to jump the battery, or tapping on sensors and moving wires (cuz i thought i had a weak contact problem) (and i still may ). but once my dad pushed my car higher up the off ramp and we tried roll starting it , it started

now what could be wrong with it

it starts when roll starting it but not when you try and start it normally.

anything suggestions ?
Old 10-30-2002, 03:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts
Car: 240sx
Engine: whatever works
Transmission: 4l80e this year
Axle/Gears: 3.512
does it turn over at least when you turn the key? if not i would replace the starter immidiatelly.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:51 PM

it does turn over, but it just won't start.
the fuel pump is about half a year old, so it can't be that either.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:07 PM
Supreme Member

OK so its not your starter. whew.

Check your:
Ignition and Fuel.
Because those are the only two things your car could be lacking for it to run.

<b>it starts when roll starting it but not when you try and start it normally. </b>

now thats very odd. ignition then? wiring I would guess.
Guess being the key word?

Im just trying to help. sorry if i confused you more.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:47 AM

thanks allot for the help, and i dont think i can be more confused than i already am

she's been standing there for a week collecting dust, and nothing i do seems to help. here's what i've done so far to narrow it down:

-the fuel system is 100% ok. i have pressure, and the injectors click.
-i can hear the fuel pump come on when i turn the key, and after trying to start it and turning the key to the off position.
-the ignition seems to be fine, at times...
by that i mean that i have good spark, except after the car gets stuck.
when the car gets stuck i have no spark either at the coil, or the plugs.
- the battery is charged and connected properly
-starter is working properly, and engages the flywheel.
- the only code the ECM is throwing at me is code 34, which is MAF, eventhough i have two MAF's and it does the same to both.
- when it does start , i can see the rpm's climb to 500 rpm while it's cranking; when it wont start, no matter how much i crank teh rpms don't seem to climb even a little tiny bit

-i've replaced the ignition module, distributor and coil, with these i had in my parts car (which ran).

um... i can't think of anything else , if i remember something i'll add it to the list.
Old 10-31-2002, 02:25 AM

if you are able to start it my pushing it. I would check to see if you Ignition switch is bad. Does key have any stiffness to it. The only thing else i could think of it that your module is bad, even though it came off another car. Most autoparts are able to test the module. Just some info, that hopefully will help you. If i remember correctly, when you turn the key, it also activates the coil. Could be a bad contact in the ignition switch.
Old 10-31-2002, 10:32 PM
Supreme Member

<b> when it does start , i can see the rpm's climb to 500 rpm while it's cranking; when it wont start, no matter how much i crank teh rpms don't seem to climb even a little tiny bit </b>

bingo. ignition. your tachometer is directly sensitive to the number of pulses it sees in your ignition.
when your car wont start its simply because your not getting spark.

spark while rolling? maybe its because your computer sees you moving and assumes its ok to spark. or somthing. maybe it has to do with some kind of in-gear or not in-gear related thingy.

heel i dont know, but im betting its your ignition. ok now im just making a fool of myself
Old 11-01-2002, 12:50 AM

ok, so it's the ignition
what thogh ?

i've already replaced the ecm/ coil/dist/and the spark control module lil thingy

so it's gotta be the wiring right ? where do i start ?

btw, thanks so much for the help so far

EDIT : the spark control lil thingy is the ignition module, jsut remembered the name of it
(although the surface where the ignition module meets the dist is full of white material (some sort of rust/ corrosion) so might be a bad ground problemo ?

Last edited by 88camaro; 11-01-2002 at 12:54 AM.
Old 11-03-2002, 11:39 PM
Supreme Member

woooo ignition. yes most likelly. Hmm... Since you replaced so many parts its likelly somthing either never went back correctly or wasnt even to begin with (most likelly) so just start checking everything... I mean the distributor needs wires to tell it stuff and the coil needs voltage and the spark plugs need spark... do some testing take out a plug and put it next to a ground and see if you can get it to throw a spark.. by doing... stuff...

bad ground? very very possible, a ground in the ignition will obviouselly send a spark that SHOULD goto a plug heading somwhere else.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:53 PM

my car has been doing the same lately too... i haven't tried the rolling thing... but we had some codes... i have 2 get it retested sometime when it starts... but we replaced... idle air control arm thing... ignition module... fuel pump... and o2 sensor... but i do know my ignition has a stiffness to it... like sometimes 2 even turn it forward... or get the key out... i have to turn it HARD back just a lil and pull the key out... could this be my problem??? i hope so... i am REALLY mad and am ready 2 sell this piece... lol
Old 11-05-2002, 12:43 PM

k, well, if it is a bad ground how could i check it ?
where should there be a ground ? , what wires should i check ? where are they ?

any pointers ?