Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

What exactly happens when a MAF goes bad

Old 01-15-2003, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What exactly happens when a MAF goes bad

ok a few months ago i was pulling a code 34 which is mass air flow sensor..the car has been running fine and the SES light stopped comming on . Well just now i was returning from NJ state inspection and i noticed my car was idiling odd..like shaking a bit on acceleration and a massive decrese in horsepower. the SES light came on as i was driving. i pulled over and shut the car off, restarted it..continued driving..and the light popped on again.i also noticed somthing strange. when i accelerate besides lacking HP and shaking a little, there is a low whirring noise that happens. the car did not stall once or hesitate. i lost my stupid paperclip code reader thing i made so..does this sound like my MAF has finally had it? any ideas? also the only other thing i did before this started happening was i put a quart of motor oil in (a brand i dont normaly use) so i dont know if that had anything to do with it.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:19 PM

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts
You'll need to read the error codes again. The crankcase oil probably has little to do with the error core. It's also possible thet the MAF sensor has not failed, but that you have a different issue with intake air, but get the codes first.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Formula 350
Transmission: 700R4
The oil has nothing to do with it. On the next page Vader gives this answer to "sst" on his thread "Service engine soon light on!"
QUOTE]Originally posted by Vader
Or if you like diagrams and photos:

First, you'll need to acquire a GM OBD I ECM Diagnostic Trouble Code Retrieval Tool (commonly known as a paper clip to TGO members).

With the engine and ignition turned off, locate the ALDL connector under the dash, just to the right of the steering wheel in the driver's foot well area on Firebirds, and on the left on Camaros. There should be a small rectangular cover over the access hole in the lower dash trim.

Insert a tool as described above (paper clip) into the 'A' and 'B' terminals on the ALDL connector:

WITHOUT STARTING the engine, turn the ignition to the "RUN" position. Watch the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) - it will begin to flash. This is also commonly called the "Service Engine Soon" or "SES" lamp. The first code will flash three times, and will usually be a code '12'. This is encoded by one flash of the lamp, a brief pause, then two successive flashes of the lamp. Each code will repeat three times, so you should see a "Code 12" flash three times. Any other error codes will follow in numerical order, and each code should flash three times. After all codes have been displayed three times, the "Code 12" will again flash three times, then all other codes will follow as described earlier. This cycle will continue until the jumper is removed or the ignition is turned off.

After you have made a note of all error codes, turn off the ignition and remove the jumper immediately. If you forget to remove the jumper and attempt to start the engine with it in place, you could damage the ECM. For this reason you should remove it immediately.

Once you have a note of all error codes, check this file for the decoding:

GM Error Codes.pdf.

You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open/print the file.
[/QUOTE]