Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

How does water affect a carbuerator?

Old 07-22-2000, 09:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does water affect a carbuerator?

If there's water in the gas, can it destroy a carb?

Thanks, MUCH appreciated.
Old 07-22-2000, 09:41 PM
Supreme Member

ps this is about our 4 wheeler. I took the carb apart and everything and I still can't get it to run. There definitely is a spark and the exhaust smells like fuel, but it won't fire. read my post farther down. If anybody knows of a site I can go to for help please tell me. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2000, 09:47 PM

2 stroke or 4? how long did the water stay in the carb? What happened yo get the water in there? Exactly what have you done to remedy the situation? E-mail me if you like.....

------------------
bought a wrecked(head on,bad)'84 Z28 rebuilt it in'92 parked it in
'93 and ordered a '93 Z28. Got tired of the 4th gen in '99 and sold it and begin swapping in '85 TPI converted to speed density. engine is all stock except for comp cam. body has '86 IROC nose peice,ground fx and IROC wheels/goodyear 245/50's. IMO this car looks and feels more "racey" than my '93 did. and I love driving it. BTW fuel injection is great I'll never go back to carbs.

[This message has been edited by JAMES POLEDNA (edited July 22, 2000).]
Old 07-23-2000, 05:12 AM

If you left water in the carb, then yes it could possiby rust items if you let it sit. But since you've taken it all apart and cleaned it, you should be okay.
I'm assuming you replaced the spark plug? If not, then that would be my next place to try. If yes, then is the plug "wet" with fuel? (i'm also assuming that you're feeding the engine with good clean gas now)If it's wet, then burn the tip off with a lighter before putting it back into the engine.
When you checked the spark, what color was it? (blue, yellow, orange) At the plug a blue/white spark is desirable. Anything less could be symptoms of a weak coil.

------------------
1989 T/A 5.7 WS6
1967 Camaro LS6 454
Old 07-23-2000, 08:27 AM
Supreme Member

It's a 4 stroke, takes regular 87 octane. The reason water got in the gas is it was raining and my grandmother left the funnel in the gas can and there must have been a hole in the roof of the shed and it leaked right into the can. She then poured it into the 4 wheeler and then realized somehow that it had water in it. We drained it today which was like a week later. There was no rust inside though, it looked very clean. The carbuerator has 2 big holes on the sides for the air intake/exit and in the center a long shaft that goes perpendicular to the air tunnel, this acts as the throttle body. That's about all I could figure out. I put it all back together the way it was.

Yes we are definitely using good gas now too. My dad cleaned the spark plug with sand paper (it was only about 1 week old anyways).

I also smelled the gas when we're cranking it and it smells strongly like gasoline. I also took the wire from the coil and tested it next to the header with a nail and it produced a 1/2 long spark of yellow color.

So we know it's getting spark and gas and air (since I tried to start it with the filter off). So we are pretty much clueless now I guess. I'm going to go try starting it again now that it's been sitting overnight. It cranks over real strong btw.. new battery.

Thanks again
Old 07-23-2000, 11:25 AM
Supreme Member

Cool I got it to work. I set the idle screw in the whole way and it started right up. I guess that is the way you prime the carb or something.