Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

quick question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2000, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quick question?

I was under my car and i noticed my tranny which is a 5 speed in an 83 z28 says borg warner on the side, now is this the stock tranny or at least the stock type?
Old 07-23-2000, 11:36 AM

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts
Z28,

Yup. It's also possible that the rear axle was manufactured by Borg Warner. It is certain that the oxygen sensor was made by Bosch, the seats made by Johnson Controls, the brakes by Kelsey-Hayes or Bendix, the dash and instrument cluster made by Textron Automotive Systems, the seat belts and retractors made by American Safety, and so on. The glass is likely made by Ford (LOF), the belts and hoses made by Dayco, the valve rockers made by Elgin, the retainers made by Elco, the majority of engine fasteners made by Camcar, etc.

GM has the highest percentage of in-house components of any manufacturer, but many of the components are still outsourced. Don't be surprized or disappointed by other "non-GM" parts you might find.

At least you aren't driving a Chrysler, whose outsourced and foreign parts content comprizes 82% of its average vehicle. You can just imagine that that makes their overall quality control pretty difficult. Any wonder the resale on Chryslers sucks compared to other doemstic cars? The used car market recognizes a piece of crap and pays accordingly...

Later,
Vader

------------------
"Make Me Bad"

[This message has been edited by Vader (edited July 23, 2000).]