Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

free is good right? please tell me what to do

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2000, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
free is good right? please tell me what to do

i hear alot about free mods what can i do to my car? please explain in some kind of detail what i can do!!!
thank u
ps i am looking at getting new tires i have 245s on it now what is the biggest i could go in the back? i believe i have 16 inch rims is this correct? and what is the best deal for tires and where could i go for them?

------------------
1988 firebird formula350 msd 6al box blaster 3 coil accel 8.8 wires flowmaster cat back pro shift light a pillar gauge pod and water temp and air/fuel ratio gauges b&m mega console shifter
Old 07-23-2000, 03:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Chevy Camaro
Engine: Built L98
Transmission: T-56 6 speed
I have 255/50 in the back. They are BFG Comp T/A's don't buy these! They suck ****. Better than normal tires but ****ty compared to others. I say go buy some Kumho's those are very good tires and they are very cheap to. Like 125 a tire. That's with shipping to Hawaii. SO maybe around 90 for each.

As for free mods you could take out your air silencer. I don't know where yours is though. Another mod is to move your air temp sensor thing to a colder area. Which is will more fuel which might help. Do 88 Birds have MAF's? if so you could rip out that screen in it. Then you could gut your cat. Then you could bump up your timing. SOmewhere up to about 12-14. I have mine set at 12. And it's alot better than before when it was at around 8. Then you also could take out that little rubber strip on the back area of your hood. That will help release some underhood pressure and also release underhood heat. There's more but I can't think of any as of now.

------------------
Chris
91 RS 305 TBI
Team Neo Blood
Old 07-23-2000, 11:33 AM

thanks rev if u can think of anymore please let me know i will try that. i have ripped the screens out of my maf already. what is this supposedly suppose to do? i hear of people making ram air? how do i do that. i am also getting ready to order march pulleys. the companie is from michigan as i have found out and that is where i am from. i am also going to get rid of my cat and hopefully try true duals we will see but for now how do i gut the cat??

------------------
1988 firebird formula350tpi msd 6al box blaster 3 coil accel 8.8 wires flowmaster cat back pro shift light a pillar gauge pod and water temp and air/fuel ratio gauges b&m mega console shifter
Old 07-23-2000, 11:58 AM

Look through the archives,there are all kinds of mods for TPI cars.As far as tires, I've got 255/50/ZR 16 Goodrich Comp TAs and like them alot.I got them for $588 out the door.

------------------
We need Perry Mason
Old 07-23-2000, 12:18 PM

Kumho's HECK yeah thats what i got I just got them the other day for 196.95 for two tires put on my car they look nice and are hella good in the rain

hay hookin88formula what do u think ur HP is for ur current MODS ??? u wouldnt happen to have a pic of ur b&m mega console shifter ?? would ya

as for ram air i know where u can buy a ram air hood like on the 97 firebirds but made for 82-92 ...

www.americansportscar.com/
Old 07-23-2000, 03:28 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Chevy Camaro
Engine: Built L98
Transmission: T-56 6 speed
Pretty much ripping out the screen increases the flow. Which equals more hp. You can make ram air by routing tubing from a cold area that gets alot of air. And then routing it to your air box. Well there is two ways of gutting your cat. One is to get a punch and smash the hell out of the insides. Making them fall out. or you can drill it out. But that will take kinda long. And then if you want you can even shove a pipe inside to make it a strait pipe. But hell that's not really needed.

------------------
Chris
91 RS 305 TBI
Team Neo Blood