Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Codes??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2000, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Codes??

i see on this board alot of people posting different codes their ECM's emit. i was wondering a couple things.

1.what the hell is a code?
2.how do you find out what codes are being emitted? (is there some kind of tool?)
3.how do you determine what the problem is once you have diagnosed the code?

thanks

daniel
Old 07-24-2000, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your ECM (electronic control module) is probably located under the right side of the dash on the driver's side. Its a little unit that looks like there should be a plug of some kind there but is missing. To check your "codes," take a small piece of wire, (a couple of inches long is plenty) and with the key off, slip one end of the wire into the "A" terminal and the other end to the "B" terminal. Now turn the key on, (don't start the car), and watch the check engine light. It will blink like morse code. It should blink once, pause, blink twice. That is a code 12 which means you hooked the wire up correctly and any "malfunction codes" that the computer has stored in its memory are about to be displayed. It will show you code 12 three times and then show any malfunction codes. Have a pencil and piece of paper ready to jot down any codes. They will be displayed the same as code 12. Example: a code 25 would blink twice, pause, then blink five more times. If you have a Chilton's, this is all explained as well as a list of all the codes and their meanings. If you need help deciphering anything you can e-mail me: witchdr666@aol.com

P.S. If it just continues to flash code 12, your car is fine, or at least you have no major system failures. Hope this helps.

------------------
`85 Z28 5.0L TBI
Don't ever be:
Found On Road Dead!