Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

I;m going with the 3.73s......

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2000, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I;m going with the 3.73s......

How hard are they to actually install? My buddy, whos done a gear swap before, is helping me. ALSO should I get a powertrac/posi/LSD???? Which is which and what is what?
Old 07-24-2000, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Trans Am WS6
Engine: Minirammed 385, 396 RWHP
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Moser 12-bolt
First off, Good for you!

Powertrax is an easy way to get a limited slip into your axle, from what I hear.

I, however, opted to upgrade to heavy duty components with a Torsen differential and aftermarket 28-spline axles. I want to pour 400 HP through the axle.

A POSI and a LSD are one in the same.

Other nomenclature:

Ring & Pinion: the ring gear and pinion gear
Differential: The spider gears, and any clutch packs that might be present. The axles slide into splines in the differential.
Carrier: The part that the differential sits in, and the ring bolts to. Different series carriers have different thicknesses in the mounting flanges for the rings. The carrier spins with the ring.

Case: The external part of the axle assembly into which you bolt your carrier & pinion gear.

See: http://www.isthq.com/~dan/fcar.html

------------------
Daniel Burk
http://www.isthq.com/~dan/fcar.html
'84 Trans Am WS6/L69
KB SFC, Moser axles, Torsen Diff. PST suspension, Braided stainless brake lines,
5-point racing harness, Koni struts, 11-inch rear disks,Spohn Adj. torque arm,
Ported 305 heads w/1.94"intake valves, Comp Cams XE262H, Griffen alum. radiator,
Speed-sensitive steering conversion, underdrive pulleys, Crane Hi-6 & more. 1.05g skidpad verified.