Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Key pulls out in on position

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key pulls out in on position

Could this have something to do why my car wont start? I can turn the key to the on position, then pull out the key, and then attempt to start the car (starter turns, all electricals are on, but no ignition.)

Also I cant read the codes. I jump the proper connections (yes they are the right ones, ive done it before a thousand times) and the SES light wont come on. It wont come on ever actually.

What the hell is wrong with my car. All i did was change the thermostat, now I have this ****.
Old 05-11-2003, 01:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Key pulls out in on position

Originally posted by Adam62083
Could this have something to do why my car wont start? I can turn the key to the on position, then pull out the key, and then attempt to start the car (starter turns, all electricals are on, but no ignition.)
Doubtful unless you have vats (I know jack about how it might affect it then) I had the same thing in my IROC until I replaced the lock cylinder. It never affected how it started when using the worn one.

Also I cant read the codes. I jump the proper connections (yes they are the right ones, ive done it before a thousand times) and the SES light wont come on. It wont come on ever actually.

What the hell is wrong with my car. All i did was change the thermostat, now I have this ****.
Is the bulb in the ses light good?
Old 05-11-2003, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have VATS, and the bulb is fine, unless it just happened to go out coincidentally as the problem.
Old 05-11-2003, 01:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Adam62083
I have VATS, and the bulb is fine, unless it just happened to go out coincidentally as the problem.
Light bulbs have a way of doing that just when you need them the most.
Sorry, I don't know what the effect of removing the key from the lock cylinder when it is on in a VATS car. I don't know if it even looks at the key chip anymore when the cylinder is rotated and after it has verified it once. Seems like it could cause some flakey things to happen. The security light doesn't come on when you do this?