Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Fuel pump/fuel level sending unit questions

Old 08-02-2003, 10:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: T-56
Fuel pump/fuel level sending unit questions

Ok guys, I just got my Holley Stealth Ram KIT in...you know the $2300 dollar one that includes everything. And the fuel pump they include is an external. So I'm looking through the manual and I read:

"Note: Never use and in tank, low pressure fuel pump in conjunction with and external high pressure fuel pump. The low pressure, intank fuel pump will become a restriction to the external, high pressure fuel pump. This condition will result in fuel starvation and engine damage."

It also goes on to say:

?"At present, all fuel tank modules are designed and serviced as a complete unit. If the fuel pump or fuel level sensor fails, the entire unit will have to be changed."

For some background, I'm swithing over from TBI so I know that I have a low pressure pump correct? I've done some searches and have found that a lot of people are using the Walbro? 255 intank pump. And Holley makes one also, but what has me concerned is what I previously read in the install manual..."At present, all fuel tank modules are designed and serviced as a complete unit." Do these aftermarket in-tank pumps have a fuel level sensor built into them? Or can I just take out the old pump and put in a new one? Can anyone that has put in an aftermarket high pressure in-tank pump help shed some light on this for me?
Old 08-02-2003, 08:47 PM

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts
Your TBI fuel pump was designed to provide a constant 11-13 PSIG fuel pressure. A TPI pump is designed to provide a constant 44 PSIG (give or take a few), and CPI and LS-series engines operate at 60 PSIG. You can install an aftermarket high pressure pump on the original fuel level sending unit assembly without any problems. The Holley pump may not be designed for that, but others are. Even an AC/Delso CPI pump for a Vortec 350 truck engine would work just fine for you, and fit just like your original TBI pump.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: T-56
Thanks Vader..I made a call yesterday to a reliable friend that has actually had his hand on the F-body fuel pump unit and his advice pretty much paralleled yours. Whatever I get for a pump is gonna have to be a 255lph pump I'm sure and not a stock pump because I need this thing to feed about 450hp so I'm thinking aftermarket is gonna be the only way to go. Thanks again.

Tom