Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Code 33, replace the MAF, and code 44! why doesn't my car like me?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2000, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Iroc Camaro
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Th700R4 Jr. Raptor
Code 33, replace the MAF, and code 44! why doesn't my car like me?

Hmm. Sometimes i think i have the midas touch. oh wait, except everythign i touch turns to §hit.

Well, i flashed my ECU while my car was running poorly, and it gave me a code 33. Alright, i think, its the MAF! so i take my car to firestone anyway, and have them diagnose the problem. They say its the MAF.

Cool. so i buy a new MAF, reset the ECU, and install it.

As soon as i start my car up, the problem i am having (rough idle, no power, backfires when i let up on the gas) was way worse!

So as i drove it, trying to figure out why the car was running WORSE. As im driving, the check engine light comes on again.

Alright, i figured it didn't like the new MAF. nope! it flashed a code "44". well, according to my haynes book, that means "lean exhaust".

well, im totally lost. this has become way too expensive already. Does anyone have any idea whats going on? I would hate to go to a shop and pay several hundred for them to replace the O2 sensor or somethign stupid (which i still doubt would fix the problem.)

well, thought i would ask everyone here if they had any idea what was going on.

As far as what i can figure, its either the o2 sensor, the fuel filter, the injectors, the pressure regulator, the fuel pump, (all things i can think of relating to "lean exhaust"). or maybe its just the ECU acting up again. and it needs to be replaced again.

I am no mechanic, you could easily catch me turning a bolt the wrong way for a hour. haha, so none of these things are really anything i can do myself (on top of having no tools, after the move). Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem, and how they fixed it.

thanks for reading everyone.

Old 11-17-2000, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
change your o2 sensor to get rid of code 44.
for code 33,, make sure your connections are clean at your maf sensor and the maf relays. also make sure your tps voltage is correct.
chances are you didnt need to buy a new maf sensor