Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

383 Stroker or LS1? Costs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy crap, why did I waste all that time reading this thread? So many retarded posts.

At least we all agree on the main points:

-Gen1s are more affordable
-Gen3s are lighter
-Gen2s have that wonderful optispark ****
-All Chevy v8s have potential

As far as which has the most potential for power, it's going to be Gen1/2s. That is, until you start stroking up Gen3s. Gen1s will make more power for the money until Gen3 parts become cheaper. You just can't argue with facts. Same goes for Gen2s.

As far as gas milage with power goes, it's still hard for a lot of us to imagine having BOTH. However, anytime you get on the gas your milage WILL suck. I don't care how the hell your fuel is injected, or how aluminum your all aluminum motor is, it doesn't matter when you hammer it.

I've driven completely stock smog 350s that have gotten well into the 20 mpg range with a th350. Carb'd, of course. Hey, it runs on regular unleaded too! Was it powerful? Nope. That car ran mid/high 15 on a good day (with borrowed tires I believe).

And whoever thinks a lightly modded "Gen1" sbc can't run with stock LS1's is a genious. Besides, I'm pretty sure he was talking about taking mild LS1's with his built 350 or 355. I run side by side with some 4th gens, both LT1s and LS1s. I'm assuming they are as close to stock as possible, since I don't a have a very powerful motor, but my car is a good deal lighter.

Budget build ups are getting people into the 12's and lower with good suspension and traction. (Nitrous was mentioned on the quicker LS1 cars, hmmm too bad Gen1s aren't compatible with N2O!!)

The weight-savings and better cooling are GREAT reasons to look into LS1's. (Not that keeping an all-iron small block cool is hard to do.)I would love a built up LS1 in my '91 to keep me lighter than my competition. Does wonders for handling. I live at the top of a hill with some VERY nice turns that I get to take daily, the lighter the better. The fuel efficiency (with power) is also a great reason, but if you think it can't be done with an older block... well then you can't be helped.

All this being said, I LOVE the Gen3 motors, even though they have their numerous problems. (All motors do, but LS1s aint perfect damnit!) In the future (years...) I'd like a 3rd gen formula with a 3rd gen motor built for roadracing/autocrossing, but for now, my "outdated" iron block will have to do.

By the way, I found it funny that the person who was talking about GTOs and LS2s was arguing about how great that "GenIII" motor is, when the upcoming LS2 is a GenIV (last time I checked).

Okay, everyone happy now?

Laters guys.
-Scott
Old 01-23-2004, 02:42 AM

By the way, my nitrous comment may not have been a good reply to the posts.

I wasn't sure who said what about nitrous, I was just commenting that no one really compared a similarly set up Gen I to Gen III.

It wasn't meant to insult at least one of the people who mentioned it.

Laters.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 RS
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt
I agree that was retarded who cares whats better? Everyone has their opinion and is entitled to it. I dont see why some people get so mad at other peoples opinions -Beauty is in the eye of the beholder- O-yea and Im not trying to start !@#$ I am just stating my opinion!
Old 05-25-2004, 08:03 AM

Car: 92' RS Camaro
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
zerotosixty please sell your camaro. your incompetent and ignorant statements would put you perfectly into the honda civic crowd. pleeeeeeeeseee

i guess its a good laugh, but 20min of wasted time reading this thread... :lala: :lala: :lala: :lala:

obviously learning everything he knows about cars from message boards

Last edited by Chrome; 05-25-2004 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:01 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
Engine: LS3
Transmission: 6L80E
Axle/Gears: 3.27
This thread is super funny. While the LS1 swap seems like a good idea, there is still a lot of $$$ spent to achieve the end goal. I would get a crate engine (like SBC 1 style) and go from there. Why give yourself more of a headache? Just to say it CAN be done? Also, go with a 6 speed and if you plan it right...it will be a lot of fun.

The only thing I learned here is that someone with a lot of posts can still know ZERO.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:58 PM

Car: 02 redfire gtp coupe
Engine: 3.8 modded and supercharged
Transmission: 4t65-ehd
Re: 383 Stroker or LS1? Costs?

its funny i was just randomly looking up stuff on google and found this. from 2004 to now how the world has changed. you can get a junkyard ls1 with a t56 for around $3k now. slap in a cam, valve springs, and mad atomic ignition and bang 450hp+ all day. or add a turbo to the stock setup for 800hp.
i started a 1980 malibu m80 build with my kids. mainly because i got the car for dirt cheap from a friend. after pulling the 350 and tearing it down then adding up the cost to make an effective motor for the strip and cruising its kind of a no brainer to go ls and save some of the extra money for the brakes and suspension.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:40 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
Engine: LS3
Transmission: 6L80E
Axle/Gears: 3.27

This thread was indeed a long time ago...While costs have dropped, one still has to figure out if the LS swap is worth it for their car. It isn't just the LS swap, what about all the supporting parts for that 800HP monster? Good luck with stock trans, brakes, rearend, etc.

Then the big question is whether you can get the money back out again, if you want to sell it. I agree it is cool to have an LS in our cars though. I have owned my GXP for 5 years now and I dig the LS3.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: 350
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Talk about bringing back the dead, lol! It does really show tho how far we've come in just a little over 10 years. After all, is anybody still doing lt1 swaps?? Other than a car like the IROC that i wanna keep looking original, I'd never build a first gen small block again for a third gen fbody. The most expensive part of an ls swap is what, headers and exhaust? Actually, how many people are even swapping an ls1? When you find a fourth gen drivetrain guys are wanting way to much money most of the time. For all out horsepower, pick up an lq4/4l80 from a truck, do a cam and heads, and you're close to 500hp.