Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car shakes during initial acceleration (sometimes)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2001, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car shakes during initial acceleration (sometimes)

To be a little more descriptive: Engine is warmed up and running fine - car is stopped and when the clutch is let out the car shakes and then smooths out with acceleration. It's never a problem when gearing up - just in 1st. Also, it doesn't happen everytime, just once in a while.

Somebody told me it's probably the pilot bearing. Could something else cause this? Maybe a warped flywheel? It seems to happen when the clutch is engaged slowly.

Thanks, Justy 84Z
Old 02-07-2001, 03:57 PM

sounds like a warped or out of round flywheel to me. Have you ever had the clutch replaced? I had mine replaced after it was slipping really bad and the flywheel was turned but the chattering and shaking was still there when leaving in first gear slowly. It got worse the warmer the car got. The flywheel was turned again but this didn't help and actually hurt me even worse b/c now the flywheel had been turned down past the thickness tolerance. What was happening was when my original clutch was slipping really bad it must have caused the flywheel to warp and get hot spots in it and once this happens you might as well throw the flywheel away or use it for a boat anchor. Mine got so bad that it even amazed the people who re-built my clutch and turned the flywheel. I finally broke down and bought me a new flywheel (at cost) from GM. Never had the problem since. The flywheels are expensive from the dealer and you may be better off geting an aftermarket one or finding a low mileage car from the junkyard and getting one from it...make sure it's the right tooth flywheel though. I believe it's 153 tooth...but check to make sure.

------------------
1988 TA 300+hp 350 w/ TBI and Holley TB unit, Holley projection intake,
WC T-5, 3.42 gears w/ Auburn posi. MSD 6A, edelbrock TES headers, dynomax 3" cat and cat-back system, ACCEL coil, polyurethane bushings all around, aluminum driveshaft, Mr. Gasket open air cleaner.

1993 S-10 w/ 4.3L V6 TBI, slightly bigger cam, Mild polish job and 3 angle valve job on heads, Edlebrock TES headers, Dynomax cat back, MSD 6A, ADS chip

2000 Kawasaki KX 125
Old 02-08-2001, 12:30 AM
Supreme Member

Location: First one out of liberty city, burn it to the ground
happens to me too...resurfaced flywheel new clutch i dunno

------------------
89 Firebird (AKA "Money")
2.8 V6 w/ t5 tranny (383 tpi t56 12/01)
Flowmaster 80 series, 3" Intermediate, SS Tips, Random Tech Cat, Msd Coil, MSD 6a, Accel 8.8 wires, Cold Air Intake w/ K&N, Lakewood LCA's, Brushed aluminum Hood pins ETC...
Next:
Spohn Torque Arm, Lakewood Panhard bar, BMR Fabrication Sub Frame connectors...
-------------------------
My Site:
www.geocities.com/firebird89white

" I'd rather run last in a full out race, than to NOT run at all ".