Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Ok, I've got MAJOR tranny problems I need help with

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2001, 02:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I've got MAJOR tranny problems I need help with

I have the stock T-5 in my car. I have a brand new Zoom clutch with 1200 miles on there. The clutch was properly broken in.

Heres the problem. When the car is in gear and I'm cruising , if I rev the engine a little bit the car lets off this vibrating sound and the whole shifter shakes. It usually happens after the operating temperature of the car has been reached and the tranny is warm. IT DOESNT DO THIS IN NEUTRAL. I also notice the car grinds a little going into every gear.

I know it can't be the clutch, it was installed correctly and is lined up. The pilot bushing was not replaced because it was in good shape, but was re-greased. And the throwout bearing is brand new and it's definitely not that because I'd know. The clutch fluid is filled

The car didn't have ALL these problems a few months ago, just started. Only seems to get worst.

------------------
91 Formula
305 TPI 5speed
1LE/G92/WS6

Paxton SN92 polished kit, SLP airfoil, ported/polished plenum, March pulleys, Crane AFPR(43psi),Crane Gold 1.6rrs,MSD coil,MSD6AL (5200rpm limit),Holley 9mm wires,Ac delco R43ts plugs,stock chip,Ford SVO 24# injectors,Bosch O2sensor,SLP 1 5/8" headers,SLP catback,shortened shifter,3:73s w/Auburn posi,170* t-stat,JET 195* fan switch, Macewen white face gauges, Autometer gauges, Zoom hi-performance clutch.

[This message has been edited by theformula (edited March 15, 2001).]
Old 03-15-2001, 06:21 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
I think you may have a few problems there. As to the cause, I suggest that it may have something to do with the extra power from your recently installed supercharger.

The grinding of the gears may either be caused by your clutch not being setup right (or not handling the power of the supercharger) or your synchros in your tranny not handling the supercharger's output.

The vibration may be from a weak/broken tranny mount. I haven't seen the T-5 setup, but I am almost sure it has one.

Personally, I would start saving my money up and start thinking about a T-56 conversion. I am not a "fan" of the T-5 and I personally don't think it will hold up well to the power of your supercharger over time.

I hope you posted this this question on the Transmission Board and you should seek out GMTech. He spends a LOT OF TIME at www.sethirdgen.org these days. Or you can search for a recent post of his and send him an e-mail.

Bernard (GMTech) is a nice guy and generally responds fairly well to personal e-mails.
Old 03-15-2001, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok thanks glenn