Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Alt and PW steering only pulley setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 02:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6
Alt and PW steering only pulley setup

I have the 88+ serpentine setup on my car and its a whole lot of metal for nothing considering that I no longer have AC, and a smog pump and I want to go to an electric water pump

I found a really nice kit from MARCH in jegs to mount your alt and pw steering along with an electric water pump, all real simple, lightweight.

the only problem is that its 400+ dollars.

I wanted to know if anyone has done this or if the 87 and prior multi belt setup can be modded into doing this i know it has a ton of seperate brackets and such.

Help me lighten and clean up my engine bay

thanks
Pablo
Old 06-13-2004, 03:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 Buick GN
Engine: 3.8L (231 cid) V6
Transmission: 200-4R
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt G80/ 3.42
Here's what I'm using right now:
http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/S...ctric_Pump.htm

It's a real nice piece and the price is just right. If you look elsewhere in their catalog you'll find power steering brackets and pulleys to make it all work.

With that alt. bracket you need to get an alternator from an 87 IROC because the of the 6 and 12 o' clock mounting positions. The stock alt. won't work.

Granted it's not as pretty as the March stuff, but you sure won't spend as much.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:27 PM
Supreme Member

yeah i dont care about looks at all, my engine bay isnt a show piece by any stretch of the imagination all I need is something functional.

That setup looks good, I'll have to call them and find out if I can combine something to make the pwr steering work along with it.
BTW I allready have the 87 and earlier alternator sitting in my garage so thats not a problem.

Anyone else have anything more low buck? im thinking junkyard parts here
Old 06-13-2004, 04:37 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: NCC-1701-D (docked in AZ)
Engine: impulse drive
Transmission: fusion reactors
Axle/Gears: Rescued from the Borg by my crew
Originally posted by IROCZZ3
Here's what I'm using right now:
http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/S...ctric_Pump.htm

It's a real nice piece and the price is just right. If you look elsewhere in their catalog you'll find power steering brackets and pulleys to make it all work.

With that alt. bracket you need to get an alternator from an 87 IROC because the of the 6 and 12 o' clock mounting positions. The stock alt. won't work.

Granted it's not as pretty as the March stuff, but you sure won't spend as much.
Just a note...that bracket will only work for long water pumps. I have a short one. I like it though. I am going to switch to electirc water pump soon as well.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:35 PM
Supreme Member

ttt
Old 06-14-2004, 03:00 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Many
Transmission: Quite a few
well, the 87 pulley set-up uses pretty much seperate brackets for each device. You could easily just run a standard water pump and the brackets for just the alternator and power steering pump.

that said, if you think about it, pre-87 v-8 cars (back to probably 1969)will pretty much have seperate brackets for everything also, and if you find an older truck in the junkyard with no A/C, you could use that as well.....or an older impala,caprice,nova, camaro, etc. before 69, the bracketry was different, etc, due to no bolt bosses in the cylinder heads.

going back to simple brackets and pulleys should be pretty easy, if you run a standard water pump. it should also be cheaper, though it is getting harder to find the pulleys and such, as that stuff gets older and older each year....

look at classic industries to at least get a picture of the brackets you need.

as for doing that with an electric water pump, that really only affects the alternator. you could probably just get a short belt and run it directly from the crank to alternator. the PS already is a 2 pulley arrangement. You'd have to swap the pump to probably an '87 to get the right pulley, though, or maybe you can just swap the pulley.