Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Scoggin-Dickey Vortec TPI intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 04:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scoggin-Dickey Vortec TPI intake

Anybody check the port match of this intake on a set of Vortecs? I'm working on the new Vortec/Bowtie heads and don't have this intake yet. I'm wondering how they did on the roof and floor of this manifold. Am testing the Super Vic and GM's version of that manifold. These heads should be of interest to you guys as they're a dual bolt pattern intake flange and have thick decks for better durability than the old Vortecs, also they're set up for big springs, screw in studs, 2.00/1.560 valves, flow pretty good, both valve cover patterns, straight plug (like older Vortecs), and have GM's stamp of approval (means well engineered cooling passages, casting integrity and fairly good valve seats out of the box - after a couple of attempts!), and they are fairly cheap! Anybody with info regarding this subject please email me at drbdrhp@yahoo.com.
Thank you, Dennis Baccus - DrHP
Old 02-14-2005, 03:26 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Small port http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/3129...inder-Head.htm
Large port http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/3129...inder-Head.htm

Links are for bare heads.

Both indicate 2.00/1.55" valves.

Both indicate standard Vortec intake gaskets work.

"...GM's stamp of approval (means well engineered cooling passages, casting integrity and fairly good valve seats out of the box - after a couple of attempts!)" Bowties, maybe. Standard production, debateable. GM apparently is proud enough of them to offer this: "Due to the nature and intended use of GM Performance Parts, the parts are sold without any expressed or implied warranty. If a GM Performance Part proves to be defective following the purchase, the purchaser must contact the selling authorized GM Performance Parts dealer to resolve the issue."
Old 02-15-2005, 01:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run it.

The intake is fairly sloppy overall at the port openings. Needs alot of TLC.

Anyway, it is cast with the tall runner throughout the base runner.

It is close to a Felpro 1255 but needs a bit of enlarging.

The big problem is tha tthe injector bungs hang down in the runner roof due to the raised runner design of Vortec. And like I said previously there is alot of sloppy casting in the intake and the injector bungs are major area of concern.

However if your willing to invest the time the bungs can be cut to very small and streamlined protrusions.

I spent an awfull lot of time porting my base, but it came out real well, I was very pleased, however all my pics came out real chitty so it aint even worth posting them to show you.