Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Engine Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 04:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Questions

all the money i had set aside to get my vette heads ported, i spent on drivetrain parts like eaton posi, 3.73 gears, and transmission work...i figured why dramatically increase horsepower, and keep a stock drivetrain, and i figured if i had a bunch of hp, i would have to replace drivetrain parts soon or later anyways....but my new plan is to get the holley stealth ram like i've been planning, but also i'm sending my heads in to get cleaned up and to get a new valvetrain put on...i figured i mines well get them shaved to bump up compression, because, correct me if i'm wrong, milling heads is pretty cheap to do by a machine shop? i have 9.5 to 1 compression right now, how much can I possibly expect out of milling my heads? How high do i want to run? some people say 11 to 1 is way to much, but i was reading, and the old Zr1 motors had 11 to 1? am i expecting too much out of milling my heads to get that high of compression? also i've been looking at cams, mostly the comp cam extreme energy series...the one i've been looking at is Xtreme Energy XR282HR Hydraulic Roller Camshaft, which is second from the highest lift one...Lift: .510''/.520''
Duration: 282°/288°
RPM Range: 2200-5800 those are the specs....would it be practical to run that much lift with stock size ports, or does that not really matter? i was thinking maybe why have that much lift if i can't get that much air/fuel in there, or is that not a problem? also is that a good match for the stealth ram? the next step up is 2800-6200 rpm range, and i don't think the stealth ram can even breathe up to 6200 rpms...what do you guys think? What are you guys running for cams on your HSR setups? I can get the valvetrain to accept any kind of lift, but i'm not porting my alum. vette heads, what do you guys think i should run? I need answeres quick, the block was just boiled today, and going back together has just started...so i need to order the cam pretty quick...
Old 02-20-2005, 03:09 PM

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts
If you port the heads and enlarge the valves, you can get essentially the same flow with a lot less cam lift. Porting is relatively easy and inexpensive, provided you have the time to commit.

The older ZR-1 engines had higher compression, but also had a better engine management system. They also required higher octane fuel. 11:1 on pump gas is not an easy thing to achieve while maintaining driveability. I had a 355 carbed setup that ran 11:1 static, but didn't like any kind of ignition advance on pump gas - Even 93-94 octane.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i probably wouldn't be able to get 11 to 1 outta just shaving the heads anyways...btu what is possible by shaving the heads? i was thinking maybe low 10's to 1 compression? well since i have the whole engine tore apart, i'm gonna get the valvetrain redone anyways, so i figured i mines well just make it compatible for a hilift cam, so that is why i'm going with a highlift cam instead of porting, becuase that is just more money..plus i'm not lookin for HUGE horsepower, because i dont' wanna put to much stress on my drivetrain...i'm lookin for maybe 300-350 RWHP...so i'm not goign for anything extreme...i just want a nice street car that can hang with most street cars, and i want it to be very driveable...so i'm thinking HSR, high lift cam, 3.73's, and a bit higher compression will give me that....is my cam selection a good one? or should i look into a different one?