Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Any ideas why my fuel pump screams after its been running a while?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2001, 08:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: T5WC
Axle/Gears: 3:27
Any ideas why my fuel pump screams after its been running a while?

I have a very strange problem. I have a Holley in tank pump. After the cars been running for a while the pump lets out the loudest and most anoying shreaking high pitch scream. There is no noticeable effect on performance. Ive noticed that the fuel tank is warm to the touch right up to the top of the filler neck. I have a Flowmaster dual chamber fed by edelbrock headers. This muffler gets real hot and is just under a skinny factory heatshield. Is it possible that the exhaust is heating up my tank? The preassure in the tank when the pump is screaming is enourmous. I can actually hear the tank poping and it has fired my fuel cap across a parking lot when i opened it. This is not normal. Its venting. I checked through the use of the GM service manual. I even took the charcoal canister out so it would always vent. I really need some ideas here please

------------------
1987 T/A GTA 5.7L, Bored .020 and ported for .202 valves, edelbrock headers, flowmaster exhaust, JET STAGE II chip, Comp CAM, Adjustable fuel pressure, Airfoil, K&N filter, B&M stage 2 shift kit, and a home depot ram air(Hey it looks good and it works)