Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Need help-new to tpi

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 06:22 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: Lg4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:23
Need help-new to tpi

Need some help on this one guys. I had a leak from my intake manifold, so I replaced the gaskets on the upper and lower intake. Other than that my car ran great. Now it will start right up with no problems, but, after warming up it will die when I come to a stop and doesn't want to start. After cranking it a while it will start, but, I have to keeps the revs up around 1500 or it dies. Also, it now makes a clicking noise from around the fpr or that diaphram thingy (whatever that is) that is under the upper intake. Any ideas would be a big help.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s
RE-check the torque on the bolts, make sure there are no wires in between anything being pinched. Check for codes and then disconnect the battery for 30 sec. Then try to find out if it is still leaking with some soapy water.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
You could also try a propane torch (unlit, of course ) to check for vac leaks -- the engine speed will increase if it ingests the propane.

Hard starting issues with TPI can be a whole number of things, from an old fuel pump to a clogged fuel filter to a bad ignition module. You might want to try searching the archives for a more explicit analysis.

Is your idle air control (IAC) motor working? If it dies at idle, the stepper motor might not be metering air properly, causing the RPM to drop. Do a search for "minimum air" -- even if it's not the problem, I think it's a good idea to check it. Might want to verify the TPS voltage, too.

Are you sure the clicking noise isn't just the fuel injectors? They sometimes "click" when they open and close. You can try taking a rubber hose with a funnel on the end of it to listen where it's coming from -- hose end to the noise/part, funnel to your ear.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: currently thirdgenless!!!
I have a similar problem. Every now and then my 305 TPI will die unless I have a light amount of pressure on the gas pedal. I believe the problem is the IAC vavle. It's on the passenger side of the plenum just behind the throttle body. The problem is it is sticking. You can try taking this off and clean it out. Most poeple say it helps.

Don't know if that is your particular problem but it might be worth looking into.