Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

TOO long, TOO many cranks before the fuel comes out of injectors

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2001, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TOO long, TOO many cranks before the fuel comes out of injectors

i think it's an electrical problem, but have have to crank my car at least 3-5 times before the fuel comes out the injectors.
i notice that my oil pressure will build up while cranking, then it'll spit out the fuel, then start. i replaced fuel pump relay twice just to make sure that it wasn't bad. i did the fuel filter a few months ago. what could it be?
Old 10-07-2001, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dying fuel pump maybe.
Old 10-07-2001, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 87 Formula
Engine: 327
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
There should be two circuits that activate the fuel pump. The first is suppose to run the pump for a few seconds when you first turn the key then shut off. The second turns the pump on and holds it on as long as there is oil pressure. Sounds like you have a problem with the first circuit. Probably the relay, but you should get a good wiring diagram and trace your problem out.

Sorry just reread your post about the relay. Still should be in that circuit somewhere though.

[This message has been edited by chevymad (edited October 07, 2001).]
Old 10-08-2001, 01:45 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '89 GMC Pickup
Engine: 383 SBC Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700R4/VIG 3200
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by camaro 22:
i think it's an electrical problem, but have have to crank my car at least 3-5 times before the fuel comes out the injectors.
i notice that my oil pressure will build up while cranking, then it'll spit out the fuel, then start. i replaced fuel pump relay twice just to make sure that it wasn't bad. i did the fuel filter a few months ago. what could it be?
</font>
I have two relays, one hanging, the original still bolted to bracket, because of the same problem. It was because one of the pins that plug onto the relay was being pushed back into the socket and not making connection. Check this by plugging in the relay and then taking something and pushing on each pin from the bottom of the connector toward the relay.

As someone already mentioned. The relay kicks on for a couple of seconds and pressurizes the fuel rails, then the car starts and the oil pressure switch above the oil filter makes and keeps the pump running. So, when you crank the engine it finally starts because the oil pressure builds up and you hit the key again before it bleeds off. To compound this problem, if the check valve in the fuel pump or the connector to the fuel pump isn't holding fuel pressure it will bleed off very quickly and also cause the hard starting problem you're describing.

Let us know what you find.

------------------
_ ___ _
SMasterson