Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

dead fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700r4
dead fuel pump?

alright earlier this year my buddy and i put a new (79k) 305TBI in his 91 RS to replace the old one that had a cracked block. at the time if pulling the old engine the car would start and run... badly, and we would hear the pump prime each time, now months later we are ready to run the new engine however we have no fuel makeing its way to the TB. and if i put my ear to the area behind the rear seat i can barely hear the pump turn on.

so now before i drop the tank down, could it be anything else aside of the pump? because droping the tank down does not seem like fun.

and what kinds of fuel pumps would you recomend?
Old 09-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 357
Transmission: TH-350C
Axle/Gears: 3.43
Well it can only be power to the pump or the pump itself. If you can hear it humming but no fuel check fuel filter if you havent done so already, might possibly be a blockage in the line too.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:24 PM

the filter looks OLD, but i'd think i'd still hear the pump prime like i used to

i hooked up a test light up to the wires that feed the fuel pump, i think the colors were gray, black, and purple. and the light would light but not very bright at all.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Try the Oil Pressure Sending Unit - located usually above the oil filter on the block. If it's bad, it'll keep power from going to the pump. Power feeds directly from the battery, through the OPSU, to the pump. It's $28 at Autozone, but worth it BEFORE you assume the pump is bad and drop the tank.

When my pump went out, it went completely out - you heard NOTHING from it at all. However, when my OPSU went bad, car would run, but sometimes ran bad, acted like it was out of gas, hard to start sometimes, and other times ran like nothing was wrong at all.

I also had another car, where the OPSU went bad in a way that made the pump run constantly, given that the power feeds directly from battery - as long as battery was connected, the pump ran, causing my battery to die every 3 days. This drove me crazy till I figured it out!
Old 09-14-2005, 12:33 AM

i'll check that out, however i know when we pulled the old engine the car did not have a full tank of gas, close mabie but not totally full, now the gas gauge reads totally full, think that would have anything to do with it?
Old 09-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by camaronewbie
Try the Oil Pressure Sending Unit - located usually above the oil filter on the block. If it's bad, it'll keep power from going to the pump. Power feeds directly from the battery, through the OPSU, to the pump. It's $28 at Autozone, but worth it BEFORE you assume the pump is bad and drop the tank.

When my pump went out, it went completely out - you heard NOTHING from it at all. However, when my OPSU went bad, car would run, but sometimes ran bad, acted like it was out of gas, hard to start sometimes, and other times ran like nothing was wrong at all.

I also had another car, where the OPSU went bad in a way that made the pump run constantly, given that the power feeds directly from battery - as long as battery was connected, the pump ran, causing my battery to die every 3 days. This drove me crazy till I figured it out!
The oil pressure sending unit above the oil filter is a backup for the fuel pump relay. It will in no way, shape, or form protect your engine from running with zero oil pressure. This is a myth. (otherwise, your engine would NEVER start until oil pressure came up.)

If you pour some gas down the throttle body will it start?

Try listening at the fuel filler. See if the pump primes when the ignition is turned on.

If not, check the relay.

If it does, find a way to check pressure. (I know, that is a real pain on throttle body cars.....)
Old 09-14-2005, 10:52 AM

if i hit the TB with some starting fluid it will start right up and run till the starting fluid runs out. i also took both of the fuel lines off the TB and no gas came out when i turned the key.

and lastly i had my friend hit the key while i listened above the gas tank and i heard a very quiet prime noise, its not near as loud as it used to be.