Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

(Seemingly extreme) High idle with AC on

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 82 Camaro; in process of resto
Engine: 350 4bbl.
Transmission: 700R4 with B&M Lockup
Axle/Gears: Moser 28-spline axle; 3.23 gears
(Seemingly extreme) High idle with AC on

Is it normal with our cars for the AC to make for a high idle condition?

I know a lot of you would say take the AC off...problem solved. It is a hot place, this state called Alabama...and this is my daily driver in the summer. I enjoy it very much.

I have always had this problem, though...since 1991, anyway. I idle perfectly with the AC off, but when it is on & I'm at a stop, it is as though the brakes can't hold her down. They always do of course, but if my foot ever slipped, it could make for a bad situation. I shouldn't have to turn the AC off everytime I approach a stop. I have to turn the AC off before I turn the car off because sometimes the car will want to keep running.

I've tried adjusting the idle with the AC on, but when I turn it off the car dies.

Am I the only one in this boat? Any recommendations on how to better my situation...keeping the AC? I have made modifications...but when I got the car the AIR was already gone & it exhibited this problem. I always accepted it as a fact of life as a teenager...but now I know there has to be a better way. Would a beefier alternator assist perhaps? Or do you think I need to just learn how to set timing & deal with a quadra-jet .

Thanks!!!
Old 04-20-2006, 11:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73
ah, this sounds like an easy one: (somewhat more suited to the carb board, but whatever...)

when you put on your AC, there's a throttle kicker, it kicks up the idle speed so the load that your AC puts on, doesn't stall the car. Sounds like it's set too high, easy fix:

Look down on your carb from above, no air cleaner on, at the front drivers side, there's a cylinder, mounted onto the carb. have the car running in park, have a helper in the car. have the car warmed up and all that. get the helper to turn on the AC, you'll see the cylinder has basically a bolt head pointing towards the throttle lever, and when your helper turns on the AC, that bolt head will push the throttle open more.
Simple matter of turning that bolt head (as if you're tightening it), until the throttle lever goes back to a reasonable level. There's probably a spec on on the sticker underhood, but lets say your curb idle in park is 700RPM, set your AC idle to maybe 900RPM.

Clear as mud? (I hope i'm right here, i've never actually seen one of these gizmos working, but i've seen them lots at the junkyard, and i'm pretty sure that's how it works).