Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

What could it be??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 RS Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
What could it be??

Hey gang..... posting for a new guy who has yet to find out about us but..... owns a 92 vert with major changes.
Change being..... it's a six banger RS.
Person he bought it from did a motor swap to a six.

Car ran fine until he was passing at 60 to 65 mph and it just died on him.
No noise no nothing.... just a coast to a stop and then nothing but cranking and fuel smell.
I'm lost..... coil is less than two months old so I'm thinking that wire that feeds the coil. Any clues?
Old 07-02-2006, 07:33 PM

Car: 1992 z28
Engine: Vortec 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Ignition module, maybe?
Old 07-05-2006, 09:37 PM

Car: 91 RS Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Pigsticker....
Two words for you my friend.....
You Rock! ya nailed it!

I never met this guy and he lives in New York ta boot ( I live in Cali).
But we've become online friends.
I told him a few things to check for and work backwards and sure enough... it was the ignition module. He went down to the auto parts store and bought a new one and she fired right up.

He was/is very greatful and I told him I would post a reply on here.
You get all the credit for this one my friend and I give credit where it is due.
Thanks again... and thanks to you... this is a closed book.

Here is his reply to me......
well i had some time to putz around on my car and realy got in depth with her. i talked with her. asked her how she felt, cleaned her a little. told her thats its going to be all right. that she just had to trust me.lol i listened to what you said and had my dad crank it while looking at the valve springs. they moved. he cranked her with the distrubtiator off. everything was turning riight. so i followed the wires like you said and they led me to the ingition modulator.(can't spell) lol. so i went to the parts store and he said that if the car sputtered then died that that was fule probs. if it just cut off then its the ing mod. sure as **** that was the prob.i put the new one in and she started right up.

so to you Sunny Bitz i say thank you very much for all your effort and help. we only been friends for a little bit but you showed me the kind of friend you really are. you went out of your way to post the problem on that site, that shows alot to me and now i owe you one. so if you ever come over to the east coast let me know. well go cruisen on some mountian roads. plus i got some pic for you that i'll e-mail out to you. pic of my 85 iroc. just let me know your e-mail address. thanks once again
Old 07-06-2006, 07:33 AM

Car: 1992 z28
Engine: Vortec 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
I'm glad he got his car back on the road. I got lucky on this one I guess. I've had modules go out on me like that with no warning and the last one that went out on me did give me some warning. The car died but cranked right back up, then ran funny, then ran good. I pulled in at a McDonalds and when I came back out to leave, all it would do was crank but not start. Ignition modules can do weird things sometimes. I even had a module I suspected was bad one time, so I took it to Advance auto to have it tested. He tested it 3 different times. It tested good every time. Just having a gut feeling I bought another one. I got home and put the old one back in, with no luck. I installed the new one and she fired right up. Anyway it's a good deal he's rolling again. Later.