Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Surging & loss of power under load

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 RS
Engine: a slow one
Transmission: a crunchy one
Axle/Gears: a whiny one
Surging & loss of power under load

It started with a whirring sound consistent with engine speed whenever it was put under load (gas to the floor in high gear, low rpm), along with a drop in voltage. Drove it 40 miles home with no problems though. All downhill from there. Whirring got a little worse, then it started with the surging and loss of power whenever you tried to get on it. It's caused alot of white buildup in the exhaust stalk going to my EGR, and cracked the middle port on my digital EGR. I swapped to another used one and got no change. The car does occasionally throw a code 32 since this has started, but hasn't done it in the week since I cleared the codes.

I've changed the alternator and smog pump. Voltage situation has gotten better, although I still suspect my brand new 110 amp unit should put out more than 13 after warm up, weaker as I turn things on. It puts out 14.5 on initial startup. The smog pump got rid of an annoying sound I had, but seemed to change nothing besides that.

Any ideas?

I'm looking for any suggestions on common wiring faults in the EGR system... Any check valves that may cause this problem... Is the catalytic converter a possibility? Anyway to test it? Things like that...
Old 09-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2011 SS/RS
Engine: LS3
Transmission: Tremic6060
Axle/Gears: good enough
believe it or not, when i changed out my cat on my 83 a few months ago (before i wrecked it) It did help my car out.. A Lot, if its the stock cat, i would replace it anyways.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 RS
Engine: a slow one
Transmission: a crunchy one
Axle/Gears: a whiny one
after alot of denial of it being the cat (mainly because it didn't do it while it was cold) i decided to further inspect the possibility

so i figured it wouldn't hurt to drill a few holes in the cat to see if it would do it, since i was going to either replace it and be dissapointed that it wasn't it, or replace it and do a cartwheel. either way, it was getting replaced next payday, so why not drill a hole and not wonder whether or not that was it for the next 2 weeks, lol.

it WAS it

i can drive my car around the block very loudly, romping it, and no stutter whatsoever. good call man.

now i'm just pissed that i know what it is and i STILL have to leave her parked for a couple weeks.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '02 Z06
Engine: L33 5.7
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Stock IRS
-Delete.-

Last edited by TraviZ; 09-11-2006 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Posted in wrong thread.