Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

91 firebird 3.1 need help troubleshooting..

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 firebird 3.1 need help troubleshooting..

New to this site please help!! Working on a 91 firebird 3.1 with mfi. starts and runs ok with a verry slight stumble when feathering the throttle from any rpm, transmission in park, once approaching operating temp. all of a sudden it falls flat on its face down to a rough idle and then dies, starts right up stumbles and dies when you hit the accelerator,or idles for a few sec. then dies. only when you depress the accelerator and hit the start will it come up in rpm then die.

also tried spraying carb cleaner in the air cleaner snorkal, picked up in rpm and ran fine as long as i kept spraying carb cleaner.

Replaced fuel filter, checked fuel pressure at test point, steady 40 psi.

codes 32,33,44 come up when checked.
My question is where should i go from here, and how do i test for it.

Thanks for your help.

mike
Old 09-09-2006, 09:41 PM

Car: 1991 Firebird 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 91-v6 88-305
Transmission: Auto's
Axle/Gears: No Clue
Sounds like a few problems , but one thing you can replace easly and is prob stock and needs it anyway is the Ignition control Module. Its inside the Dist on the base, has 2 Plugs comming out of it. My 92 V6 would do the same thing but I got a code 42. its cheap and pretty easy to replace. caint hurt.

Also if you doint have one get yourself a " glorified paperclip " aka an OBDI1 reader yea yea ppl will say use the paperclip method but hey im not one for pokeing metal prods into my reader. Atleast it will come with a booklet of the codes, a good place to start
Old 09-09-2006, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by 91greenbean3.1
Sounds like a few problems , but one thing you can replace easly and is prob stock and needs it anyway is the Ignition control Module. Its inside the Dist on the base, has 2 Plugs comming out of it. My 92 V6 would do the same thing but I got a code 42. its cheap and pretty easy to replace. caint hurt.

Also if you doint have one get yourself a " glorified paperclip " aka an OBDI1 reader yea yea ppl will say use the paperclip method but hey im not one for pokeing metal prods into my reader. Atleast it will come with a booklet of the codes, a good place to start
Thanks for the reply mr. Greenbean, sounds like good advice.

Mike