Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Hydrolock with bulge hood

Old 08-19-2007, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 83 Trans Am
Engine: LT1 350
Transmission: 5 Speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10bolt till it breaks
Hydrolock with bulge hood

My 83 ta has the bulge hood with functional CAI and I've never had the problem before but its been raining on and off since last night and I just went out to the car to leave and it spun about once then stopped turning. It sounded like it stopped instantly, I tried two more times and it sounded like the starter was engaging a siezed up engine. It wouldnt budge. Since it was raining and I hate this engine anyway I just let it roll down the driveway and popped the clutch and sure enought the engine stopped the car dead in its tracks. NOTHING. So when I opened the hood I noticed the air breather assembly was covered with water. The bulge hood air cleaners hold the water bad, and I am assuming the water funneled down the stud hole and into the carb/intake and when I went to start it the water locked a cylinder up.

Anyway I was looking at the air intake assembly on the hood and I didnt see any moisture anywhere on it so I'm wondering if anyone else with this hood has had the same problem I'm having. Now I gotta go out and pull all the plugs so I can spin the motor and rid it of the water. I just got an LT1 to put in the car so I would simply laugh if one of the rods already bent from trying to start it.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73
Re: Hydrolock with bulge hood

I have my cowl induction (power bulge) completely open, no flap or anything, and it's been rained on pretty hard during our spring here. Car started up just fine. I even used a smaller air cleaner lid than the base in order to let in more air from the top. So if I pop the hood there is a puddle of water in the base of the air cleaner sometimes.
I've never had it lock up or anything due to that.

Remember though, your throttle blades are going to be closed, which would keep water out also.

It sure sounds like you seized it, but I don't think it would be from the water. Pull the plugs and crank it over and find out I guess. If it still won't crank with the plugs out then that pretty much rules out water.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 83 Trans Am
Engine: LT1 350
Transmission: 5 Speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10bolt till it breaks

yeah I was gonna take the wife out to dinner when the damn engine did that. Ended up having to borrow my dads spare truck for a couple days. I will get around to the car tomorrow when I get up. I doubt the engine siezed up mechanically since it ran fine when I parked it, and it did turn over once and sounded normal albeit a bit slow. My hood has the air intake assembly still on it so I'm not sure how the water got onto the air cleaner lid. I pulled the air cleaner assembly off and didnt see any water in the carb.

Yur gonna laugh but the throttle blades wont hold out the water on my carb due to the previous owner drilling air bleed holes in each blade. I never thought they would cause a problem, but then again I never forseen water getting in the carb either...lol...oh well, guess I'll be pullin plugs in the mornin'. If it dont run no more, then I guess I'll just have to rush the LT1 engine along and throw it in. Just sucks cause I'd have to get a carb intake to run on it since I dont have everything I need for the computerized setup at this point. Plus I think I have the wrong PCM for the engine. but thats another thread I am about to start..lol
Old 08-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73

Hmm, actually I drilled air holes in my primary blades too.
I guess it's still possible you have hydrolock, i've just never had it happen to me with my similar setup.
We will know when you crank it with the plugs out I guess.