Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Idle problems :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Formula
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: G92
Idle problems :(

OK when I start my car it runs for like 3 seconds and then dies. I have to keep on the throttle to keep the motor running. I do it for a minute or so and then it will run on it’s on. But sometimes it will still die out. And when ever I come to a stop some times it dies. Also when I floor it there is a second or two of hesitation. I have checked the PCV vacuum lines and the vacuum line the brake booster. Also I thought it might be the set screw in the throttle body I raised it to 800 RPM in park but it made no difference. I don’t understand thanks for the .
Old 10-12-2007, 02:54 PM

Car: 88 Formula 350
Engine: 5----->.7 or so they say
Transmission: seven hundred with a remainder of 4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.27
Re: Idle problems :(

RookieTuner,

Do you have a maf or sd? If its a maf then try to unplug it and crank up that engine. If it runs fine then its your maf.

Another place to check is if you have an adj fuel pressure regulator. The hollys diaphragm has been known to fail.

You could also be losing vacuum somewhere. Try to trace your vacuum ports. Also if you are leaking oil from the front of your mani above your timing chain cover then that is something to seal up properly.

Do post what you find,

Rabi C.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:27 PM

Car: 1983 Trans Am ALL STOCK which is go
Engine: 305low
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock

Originally Posted by onfire
RookieTuner,

Do you have a maf or sd? If its a maf then try to unplug it and crank up that engine. If it runs fine then its your maf.

Another place to check is if you have an adj fuel pressure regulator. The hollys diaphragm has been known to fail.

You could also be losing vacuum somewhere. Try to trace your vacuum ports. Also if you are leaking oil from the front of your mani above your timing chain cover then that is something to seal up properly.

Do post what you find,

Rabi C.
I had very similar probs, I was showing code 43 i think it was... Maf sensor... so I replaced it
atlas... same dang thing..... then replaced the emission line from back of carb to Maf and now no hestation no cut off...... and I just did this about 30 mins ago so hopefully it'll solve all my probs i wonder if i can return the maf sensor I bought.... :0)
Old 10-13-2007, 03:06 AM

I have a MAF. I unplugged it and it still would not stay running so I plugged it back in. I do not have an adj. fuel pressure regulator yet. Where and how many are the vacuum ports. No leaks from the mani.

I was told to find a vac. leak spray starting fluid around and when you hear the engine rev the leak is near there, will this work if the leak is small?
Old 10-14-2007, 12:59 AM

Car: 88 Formula 350
Engine: 5----->.7 or so they say
Transmission: seven hundred with a remainder of 4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.27

RookieTuner,

As far as vacuum ports go, on a tpi there is one under the throttlebody, check your egr solenoid, there is a vacuum line coming out of your firewall next to the coolant lines for your vents inside the car, then your brake booster plugs into the side of the mani, the pcv also routes from the valve cover to a port on your mani, if you dont have a breather on your passenger side valve covers-- a vacuum line goes to one of those ports on the passenger side of the tb, and your fuel pressure regulator also gets vacuum through your plenum.

If I am not mistaken, I believe thats it. Do check those to make sure they are all properly connected.

Does it give you a check engine light?

Rabi C.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:06 PM

I checked all the other vacuums and they are good. I did have a check engine light and it was code 13 which is 02 sensor, I dont think that would give me a lot of idel problems. I also had code 41 which is defective MEMCAL or ECM. what is memcal
Old 10-24-2007, 03:34 PM

Well I figured out the idle problem, it was the IAC.
But my car still has a second or two of hesitation after I floor it?
Old 10-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 355
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 3.73

man, I wish I saw this thread a week ago, I was reading from the top down, the whole time I was thinking IAC. dont know what the hesitation is though, never got that when I did mine. could it be you need to reset your iac/tps?

Last edited by Tmic87TPI; 10-24-2007 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:10 PM

Ya I thought it might be to, but when ever I tried to adjust the minimal air with the IAC via the tech artical the IAC buzzes and I dont want to have to buy another one.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:50 AM

Car: 1988 Formula
Engine: 350 L98
Transmission: 700R4 w/corvette stall and servo
Axle/Gears: 1998 Transam 2.73 posi.

i had about the same problem with my 88' tpi 350. after a major tune-up, (which it needed) a fuel pump relay(which it prodaly didn't need). the last two things i was going to try before taken to a garage, were the o2 sensor and the egnition control module.i took the control module to the parts house, they checked it 5 or 6 times and it never failed, but it was not hot either. from what i have been told, that's when they start messing up, when they are hot. i replaced them both and the same time, but i am pretty sure the module was bad. that fixed it. it runs now, but it has a lil' mess and hesitation right off idle. hey but it runs, before it only ran about 5 to 10 mins. then died.
hope this helps.
----------
i had about the same problem with my 88' tpi 350. after a major tune-up, (which it needed) a fuel pump relay(which it prodaly didn't need). the last two things i was going to try before taken to a garage, were the o2 sensor and the egnition control module.i took the control module to the parts house, they checked it 5 or 6 times and it never failed, but it was not hot either. from what i have been told, that's when they start messing up, when they are hot. i replaced them both and the same time, but i am pretty sure the module was bad. that fixed it. it runs now, but it has a lil' mess and hesitation right off idle. hey but it runs, before it only ran about 5 to 10 mins. then died.
hope this helps.

NOT SURE IF THE FIRST POST WENT THROUGH....IF IT DID....MY BAD

Last edited by 350fomula; 10-26-2007 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost