Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Air Conditioner not working...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air Conditioner not working...

Hey guys I have an 86 Firebird with the MPFi 2.8 V6 and my air isn't working. Where should I look to start fixing it . I would really like to switch over to R134 because R12 prices up her in Ne are like 89$ per Lb. And I really dont want to leak out a bunch after spending all that money.

Summer is coming!
Old 04-15-2008, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 GTA
Engine: 305
Transmission: M5
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Air Conditioner not working...

well the first thing is check it for leaks tool is available at aotu part stores.converting to 134 isnt hard but doing it the right way is more involved. you would need to change all the o-rings and compressor oil and i think lines as the r12 components wont keep 134 in all that long.it will work if you just got the adapter and threw it on but expect to recharge it a few times over summer.good luck and check the wiring to the compressor make sure youre not shorted or disconnested or your switch or relay isnt bad also.
----------
by the way how do you get r12 anyhow? its banned right? eats the ozone i hear

Last edited by 82taluver; 04-15-2008 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-16-2008, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is still availible but for a pretty hefty price.....
Old 04-16-2008, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '81 Z-28
Engine: Soon to be a 383
Transmission: Muncie
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I don't care for autozone, but they have a r-134 conversion kit for about $30. Thats' what i used on my car and it blows cold. In a black car in georgi, I have gotten it to 60 dgrees. Instructions come with it.... it's real easy. If you have any leaks, it always seems easier to find them with the uv kit. You may have to jump the connector on the condensor with a paperclip when you first start to fill it.... the compressor won't come one unless it knows there is enough freon. It worked better for me than r-12.... Besides, only place i know to get that is canada.

I have been running on the same freon charge sinve august of 2006. My only leak was the condensor, which i replaced. But depending on condition and age of the parts, you may have some fail premature. I guess I got lucky.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm with Doc on this one.... I've had a fair bit of success doing cheap "R-134 conversion kit" change-overs on earlier R-12 systems. They claim that it's "compatible" with R-12 oil and whatever trace remnants there may be of R-12 in the system (assuming it's truly dead-flat with no measurable pressure at the low side schrader valve before you do the change-over).

I never did this type of conversion expecting a long service life afterwards. It's always been just to get it working again and maybe get a few months out of it, knowing that there was a slow leak in the system somewhere. I've gone sometimes years just putting another $8 can of R-134 into it from time to time when it gets weak.

If you want it done RIGHT, then do it RIGHT with a change of the dessicant bottle, fully changing out the refrigerant oil, tracing the leak and fixing it, etc. But for getting it servicable and blowing cold air, the cheap conversion kits ain't horrible. You can always change it over and then fit it RIGHT later, if you want. Venting a system full of 134 isn't the financial disaster that venting a full charge of R-12 is (and you won't be causing any polar bears to get a sunburn from the hole it's allegedly going to burn in the ozone layer)!