Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

what are all the fuel tank lines for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI (retrofit)
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: Crappy stock 10-bolt gears
what are all the fuel tank lines for?

i am currently in the process of converting my 86 Carbed I-ROCZ to TPI, and i have a few questions concerned the TPI gas tank. there are four hard lines coming out of it, two look like 5/16 and the other two are slightly smaller in diameter. two of the lines goto the fuel pump (feed and return line i presume) anothe line goes to a small filter element that just hangs off the tank (evap system?) and one goes to a black box on the dirvers side of the engine bay (the "black box" i am reffering to also connects to the carb bowl, PCV, and manifold vaccum). my question is twofold, firstly: what is the black box i refered to above (see attached picture). and secondly: can i simply use the current feed and return lines with my inline fuel pump/inline filter thus preventing me from having to open the tank (i cant seem to removing the locking rings). is there any restriction in-tank? i assume there is @ most a simple fuel sock on the feed line, and nothing on the return lines. are my assumptions correct? pictures of the carb pickup would be wonderful if anyone has some lying around?

-Z