Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

INFL. REST. light?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 T/A WS6/Future project
Engine: 350 TPI/ Pontiac 455
Transmission: 700R4/TH400
Axle/Gears: Posi.
INFL. REST. light?

I have a 91 ws6 t/a 305 tpi and last night i was driving to a party and the INFL. REST light came on. What does it mean? I just had the car in for inspection and they were fooling around with the steering column. Does this have anything to do with it cause it has never came on before.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:50 AM

Re: INFL. REST. light?

Inflatable restraint - INFL. REST.

Something is going on with the air bag.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:54 AM

Car: 86 T/A WS6/Future project
Engine: 350 TPI/ Pontiac 455
Transmission: 700R4/TH400
Axle/Gears: Posi.

great just wat i need
Old 02-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Gary Berg
I have a 91 ws6 t/a 305 tpi and last night i was driving to a party and the INFL. REST light came on. What does it mean? I just had the car in for inspection and they were fooling around with the steering column. Does this have anything to do with it cause it has never came on before.
Look for unplugged wires, probably a yellow one.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 86 IROC-Z, '71 RS
Engine: 305 TPI/ 350
Transmission: 700R4/TH350

The wires you are looking for are ALL yellow. GM did this to make sure they are marked so someone will not accidentally probe them with a test light (Setting off the airbag) The problem is probably the sensor under the center console(forget if this is yellow or orange) Not sure if it is still available or not.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:23 AM

Car: 1992 firebird
Engine: V6
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 open 3.42

mmm no airbag in a car with a single airbag all the safety features are gone
lol
i had the same problem my airbag i just disconnected the battery (if u don't ur get a mean chin check half way in to this) and just recheck the connections pulg them in nice and good and it went away
Old 02-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by drknow90rs_ss@y
The wires you are looking for are ALL yellow. GM did this to make sure they are marked so someone will not accidentally probe them with a test light (Setting off the airbag) The problem is probably the sensor under the center console(forget if this is yellow or orange) Not sure if it is still available or not.
GM didnt do it, everybody did. Its an industry standard, just like OBDII, etc.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:34 PM

Car: 1991 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350TPI 5.7L V8
Transmission: 7000r4

Hi, I own a 1991 Trans Am GTA, I went now for the 3rd time to my mechanic for the ACC 20AMP cigarette lighter problem which causes all the time a short circuit. He said he would replace the cigarette lighter as there seems to be an ongoing problem with that.
Anyways, when I left my mechanic today, by evening time when driving my car GTA out of the garage the Inflatable Restraint light remained on.
I never had that before except when changing the the steering column due to jimmy on the steering wheel my horn had to be replaced because some idiot glued the wiring of the horn together with the airbag wires. So when replacing that the light came on once and had the airbag taken out and put back in and since then no problem until today.
The strange this is when arriving today at my destination I turned the engine off and then turned it on again to continue driving and the light remained off! Same thing happened vice versa later on the evening.

Can this be related to the fixing of the cigarette lighter problem or just a coincidence?
When taking the center console apart to get to the cigarette lighter, he removed the key from the ignition while the gear being in N(neutral), can this have anything to do with it?
Or is it just a wire getting loose of the airbag in the steering wheel because of driving with a stiff suspension in streets with pot holes which causes things like that to get loose?

Best way to solve or check the problem?

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2009, 02:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 86 IROC-Z, '71 RS
Engine: 305 TPI/ 350
Transmission: 700R4/TH350

Originally Posted by 350TPI_GTA91
Hi, I own a 1991 Trans Am GTA, I went now for the 3rd time to my mechanic for the ACC 20AMP cigarette lighter problem which causes all the time a short circuit. He said he would replace the cigarette lighter as there seems to be an ongoing problem with that.
Anyways, when I left my mechanic today, by evening time when driving my car GTA out of the garage the Inflatable Restraint light remained on.
I never had that before except when changing the the steering column due to jimmy on the steering wheel my horn had to be replaced because some idiot glued the wiring of the horn together with the airbag wires. So when replacing that the light came on once and had the airbag taken out and put back in and since then no problem until today.
The strange this is when arriving today at my destination I turned the engine off and then turned it on again to continue driving and the light remained off! Same thing happened vice versa later on the evening.

Can this be related to the fixing of the cigarette lighter problem or just a coincidence?
When taking the center console apart to get to the cigarette lighter, he removed the key from the ignition while the gear being in N(neutral), can this have anything to do with it?
Or is it just a wire getting loose of the airbag in the steering wheel because of driving with a stiff suspension in streets with pot holes which causes things like that to get loose?

Best way to solve or check the problem?

Thanks!
If your mechanic was able to take your key out while the auto trans was in neutral, then either your key is very worn or your shift-detent cable isnt connected. You should only be able to remove the key with the trans in "P". That is not the most likely cause of the problem.

Originally Posted by ljnowell
GM didnt do it, everybody did. Its an industry standard, just like OBDII, etc.
Not on these years. Mercedes didnt start marking them until 1994 qnd honda didnt start marking until 1992. (Mercedes is also orange and so is jaguar) I was working in an auto electrical shop in 1994 when the idiot in the bay right next to me used a "Ground" style test light to probe the wrong wire. Both airbags deployed and caused 10,000 in damage. He was fired. LOL, even disconnecting the battery will not prevent the airbags from deploying. It is a capacitive system that stores power for months after the battery has been disconnected.
The "Standard" was established in 1996 when the society of automotive engineers (SAE) decided enough was enough, and forced the automakers to "Mark in a clear way, the components which can cause the release of stored potential energy; supplemental restraint devices" (SAE/1231996.14)
Old 02-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by drknow90rs_ss@y
If your mechanic was able to take your key out while the auto trans was in neutral, then either your key is very worn or your shift-detent cable isnt connected. You should only be able to remove the key with the trans in "P". That is not the most likely cause of the problem.

Not on these years. Mercedes didnt start marking them until 1994 qnd honda didnt start marking until 1992. (Mercedes is also orange and so is jaguar) I was working in an auto electrical shop in 1994 when the idiot in the bay right next to me used a "Ground" style test light to probe the wrong wire. Both airbags deployed and caused 10,000 in damage. He was fired. LOL, even disconnecting the battery will not prevent the airbags from deploying. It is a capacitive system that stores power for months after the battery has been disconnected.
The "Standard" was established in 1996 when the society of automotive engineers (SAE) decided enough was enough, and forced the automakers to "Mark in a clear way, the components which can cause the release of stored potential energy; supplemental restraint devices" (SAE/1231996.14)

You are preaching to the choir, I am an ASE Master Tech. Thats why I said probably yellow, as it wasnt required by law then, but was in fact common.
ETA, your story about the guy with the test light is funny, I have seen the exact same thing happen. It was pretty nasty. The guy I say had some pretty decent injuries, due to the tools between him and the airbag when it went off. ouch.

Last edited by ljnowell; 02-27-2009 at 11:49 AM. Reason: forgot
Old 02-27-2009, 10:23 AM

Car: 1991 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350TPI 5.7L V8
Transmission: 7000r4

Yeah you're right, I tried my other set of keys and key would remain locked in the way it should.
Yesterday the Infl. Res. light was on most of time while today when driving in heavy rain and having turned the engine on and off for several times during the day, not once did the Infl. Res. light remain on during the drive; Very strange, isn't it?

The other returning problem I'm having is that after having replaced the cigarette lighter for the Acc fuse problem today all of a sudden the Acc fuse burnt out and burns out right away when trying to replace fuse. Where to look next is the question?
Old 01-14-2011, 08:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro z28
Engine: TPI 350
Transmission: Auto 700-4r
Axle/Gears: 3,23

Dont mean to bring back a dead thread, but i put in a new steering bar and ever sense my infl res light has been on. does no one know how to get them turned off. i checked all connections. i have checked fuses. i went three months with no battery in the car so i tried unpluging the battery. light still on. the steering bar that i changed is the one that is down by the drivers side exhaust manifold. i dont know the correct name for it. i thought the light was on because i didnt get it aligned correctly but sense then it is now on correct. the light never stayed on before. and i know the steering line says do not remove. but i still did now no one knows how to get the light off. anyone?

i have looked over the forums but it seems no one has a answer for it.

thanks.