Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

just throwin out some ideas. opinions needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 rs
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock
just throwin out some ideas. opinions needed!!

ok to start with ive got an 89 rs with the plain jane 305/700r4 set up and im wantin to step it up a little bit. its got a straight body with only one med. sized dent in the pass. side fender, so to me its worth fixin up. i was thinkin about doin a mild 350 tpi build up with the following parts.

Item# 350-3870
Item# 350-3860

in also wanting to upgrade the valve train but im un-sure on which parts to use. im going for torque more than horsepower. i was also thinking about the vortec fast burn heads but thats just an idea.

also i was wondering about transmissions. im wanting a manual, but the question is a t5, or t56?

then comes the question of rearends. i was thinkind about a 4th gen with disc brakes and a 3.73 gear ratio and an aluminum drive line. all opinions will be taken into consideration.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:52 PM

Car: 88 IROC-z "Deathtrap"
Engine: 355 SBC
Transmission: T-5 stage2 Clutch
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Std (Taking a hike)
Re: just throwin out some ideas. opinions needed!!

I would advise against tpi.. but its just me. I like the simplicity of the carbs.. but tpi will definately have more torque. For the valvetrain you definately want roller rockers.. which ratio you will need, i am unsure of. Depends on how you do it. I know COMP CAMS has a thumpr kit, which includes a cam, roller lifters, and a gear drive for like $450. You will need to measure for the pushrods. Usually you can call comp and they can help you. But make sure if you drive this around town, to not get too crazy with the cam or it will die at every stop light.

I know edelbrock makes a nice set of aluminum heads that come assembled for like 900 a pair and have excellent low end. Also be sure you have adequate springs for the cam you choose.

Roller cams will rev higher, and smoother, but they cost. I'm guessing you arent too concerned about money if you are serious about blowing nearly 900 for just the intake manifold. Fuel injectoin has ups and downs.. and a huge down is the cost. You can spend ~500 dollars for a good intake manifold and carb and be set to go. Tpi gets a little hairy with the wiring, sensors, computer and so on. It really depends on your budget and what you want and what you have to work with. If you want torque, get a small bore, big stroke motor. Just have the checkbook to back it up.

For the distributor, i'd go with a mallory unilite and their baddest coil. Get the biggest wires you can find and some ACDelco rapidfire platinum plugs with a big gap.

For the rear end, the 4th gen posi with disks and 3.73's will work great.

For the tranny, i would suggest calling up TKO and talking to them. I've always had a good experience with them. They have very good 5-6 speeds that can handle 600 lbft of torque easily(We have a 5 speed in my uncles 88 iroc, motor dynoed at 645lbft, and we've never had a problem) But be prepared for some work with the hydralic clutch assembly and the pedals.

Good luck with your build man. I hope it goes better than mine is
IF you have any questions or need part numbers, let me know and i'll look some up when i get home.

Cameron
Old 04-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 B4C "police special service"
Engine: L98 494hp
Transmission: tko-600 on order
Axle/Gears: 3.23 true trac

I am the opposite, I prefer fuel injection.....I have had great success with it....those runners and base are a start....but I would put a cam in while you have it apart....of course to really get going you'll need to do more to motor...but that is a good start. I would do a cam and roller rockers too though... it depends on what you want to do with car, drag race, cruiser, road course, that determines how you built the car....
Old 04-14-2009, 03:05 PM

Car: 88 IROC-z "Deathtrap"
Engine: 355 SBC
Transmission: T-5 stage2 Clutch
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Std (Taking a hike)

Yea i guess i would appreciate fuel injection more if i had the money to play with it. My brother had an 06 mustang gt with the saleen blower and goodies and it had 713 lbft at the wheels.. but the thing costed him nearly 50k over the past couple years. But wheelies are fun.. especially when it looks like a plain *** car. And the kid in daddy's charger pisses himself. But i love my 88z to the death. and i miss the burnouts all through the school parking lot. But my advice for you bud, expect the unexpected. My ride has been out since September.. and i've fought it the entire time to drive it again.

OH by the way... you will need to look into the kinds of headers and pipes you want.. they have a ridiculous sticky thread on here about exhaust.. in short, he said long tubes and no cats. Until emissions time!!
Good luck
Old 04-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 B4C "police special service"
Engine: L98 494hp
Transmission: tko-600 on order
Axle/Gears: 3.23 true trac

yeah agreed fuel inj. is expensive.....also agree headers would be good, but my car is lowered and only short tubes would fit...so it again depends on car and application...but a full mandrel bent exhaust does wonders also....