Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

LS1 Fuel Tank Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 BW
LS1 Fuel Tank Questions.

Mkay. I have searched the forums high and dry and all im finding is about engine swaps. I need info about the LS1 Plastic Fuel Tank in the 4th gen Camaros.

Recently..my fuel tank on my 87 Iroc has sprung a hole...well...holes should I say and im looking for a new one. I can get the baffled 1LE tank for 160$ with fuel pump and sending unit(should also fix my gas guage issue.). But I cant find any info on this Plastic Tank(to prevent further rusting through issues down the road).

However I have yet to find any info on swapping them out or if its even possible. I just found someone suggested it to reduce weight in a thirdgen. To be honest I cant even find where to buy one of these tanks. I saw pictures of one and it appears to be the same general shape as the thirdgens but how much work will it be to swap out?

Any help is appreciated. TYVM
Old 07-06-2009, 05:34 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
They do physically fit. I did it for my LS1 swap.

But, the pump/sending unit opening/mounting is different, the lines are different. And, depending upon which you actually get, the gauge sending unit resistance can be different from 3rd gens (LS1 different, V6 I believe is close or the same as 3rd gen). The filler neck is 3-piece (cap portion, rubber hose, tank portion), and doesn't directly fit (longer overall {trim the rubber portion}, needs mounting provision for the cap portion).

Plastic started in 1999 model year, if memory serves. Some have the fuel pressure regulation built in (LS1), others don't (V6). The vapor recovery system is installed on the tank (operated by the PCM).

Can it be done? Yes.

Is it a direct solution to the issues you mentioned? Absolutely not.

Is it a weight savings? Maybe not - the vapor recovery system adds weight to the tank, but if you remove that and retain the 3rd gen system, it'll be close. Of course, using the 4th gen vapor recovery system moves weight from the nose to the tail of the car.