Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

RS runs like crap

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RS runs like crap

Here we go camaro fans, I recently purchased a 1989 rs convertible for my son.It is a very solid car but runs awful.It has to warm up like a car with a carb would have to in order to even get it out of the driveway.Once warm,it still has trouble taking off,it is a 5 speed and has no cat converter and the smog pump pully has been removed.I have found a grey wire with a plug near the lower side of the passanger side of the engine.Any idea where that goes? The check engine light comes on after about 5 mins of driving.I have put in a new clutch,shocks and struts,battery cables and took off the TB and cleaned it and replaced the lower gasket.It has had a recent tune-up,but still runs rough.What do I need to chaek next? I am indeed at a loss.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 85' Trans Am !best car ever!
Engine: 305tpi 215hp LB9 two bolt,
Transmission: th-700r4
Axle/Gears: stock (3.27)
Re: RS runs like crap

is it fuel injected? throttle body injection right? did you change out the fuel filter. kinda sounds like a bad fuel pump. during the tune-up was the coil replaced? there also another coil under the ignition control module in the dizzy. its called a pickup coil(tell the computer when to fire) does it sound electrical? try having the ignition control module tested. but remember to use thermal grease under the module when reinstalling it(or it will heat up and fry) whats your timing at. try adjusting the tps. on the injectors they have fine mesh screens that sometimes get clogged. also check the resistance of the injectors if you can. also try pulling up the codes the computer is throwing..if the smog stuff has been deleted, then the chip needs to be programed to "know that" sometimes. i think after getting the codes from computer, you'll have a better idea where to start..