Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

how to change oil dipstick tube

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
how to change oil dipstick tube

hey i know this is probably one of the most simple things one can do on a car, but i've never done it and need to know exactly how. who can tell me how i would go about changing my oil dipstick, with the tube as well? because my current dipstick is from a junkyard and is a POS and leaks oil out near the bottom, so i needed a new one. i just bought a brand new oil dipstick with the tube and i don't know how i would go about installing it. i'm guessing the first step would be to jack the car up and get underneath it since it doesnt seem to be accessible from the top. do i have to drain oil first? or does it not matter if there's oil in the pan or not? all i have to do is unbolt that one bolt that mounts the tube and pull it out, and put the new one in and bolt it in the same spot, right?? thanks for any feedback
Old 09-28-2009, 09:49 PM

Car: '88 Camaro (Gone...)
Re: how to change oil dipstick tube

Thats correct, just remove the single bolt holding the bracket to the block and it will pull out. No need to drain the oil

--Are you sure it's the dipstick thats leaking and not a bad oil pan gasket? I don't see how the dipstick itself would leak?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: Supercharged 6.0
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 3.73

There is only one anchor bolt

Remove it by gently twisting it out. It will not want to move but be gentle. You absolutely dont want to snap it off even or inside the block
Old 09-29-2009, 09:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '87 IROC/'68 SS
Engine: 5.7L/350
Transmission: 700R4/Muncie 4-spd
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt / 3.31 12 bolt

The challenge is in the access. Be patient and you'll persevere. :-)
Old 09-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

Originally Posted by Primetime91
Thats correct, just remove the single bolt holding the bracket to the block and it will pull out. No need to drain the oil

--Are you sure it's the dipstick thats leaking and not a bad oil pan gasket? I don't see how the dipstick itself would leak?
+1

I doubt it's the dipstick that's leaking unless it's broken/cracked or something... but even then... oil doesnt really travel up the dipstick where it goes into the block at all.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:52 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS

okay thanks for the replies. yeahh idk.. we'll see just where it leaks from. my friend said the dipstick but i haven't actually checked it out yet. about to go change the stick regardless here in a few minutes
Old 01-23-2019, 10:19 AM

I am having a heck of a time getting my dipstick tube out of an iron 5.3. I've already distorted the tube some. My exhaust manifold won't come off until that tube comes out. Any ideas anyone? I have thought of hacking off the bracket and putting it back on to get the manifold off but I'll have further gymnastics when in the car and trying to install headers. Ahhh.
I heated the block area up some but this sorta scares me. I've thought I could cut the tube, put a bolt inside (to avoid crushing the tube) then grab on with gusto or arrange a dent puller somehow.
The engine is a bit crusty on that side. The exhaust manifold bolts are hole 'nuther story.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by GammaFlat
I am having a heck of a time getting my dipstick tube out of an iron 5.3. I've already distorted the tube some. My exhaust manifold won't come off until that tube comes out. Any ideas anyone? I have thought of hacking off the bracket and putting it back on to get the manifold off but I'll have further gymnastics when in the car and trying to install headers. Ahhh.
I heated the block area up some but this sorta scares me. I've thought I could cut the tube, put a bolt inside (to avoid crushing the tube) then grab on with gusto or arrange a dent puller somehow.
The engine is a bit crusty on that side. The exhaust manifold bolts are hole 'nuther story.
Finally got it out. I had to pound it out from the bottom (luckily engine wasn't in a car). An S-K 9mm 3/8 drive socket and extension fit over the bottom end of the tube nicely. I was worried about mangling the bottom so I tried to protect the tube with a piece of wood while hitting it with a hammer. That didn't work. The socket and extension with some very hard blows got it unstuck.
A couple notes:
  • the socket I mention (S-K 9mm 3/8 drive with extension) is perfect because it sort of tapers inside the business end of the socket so it doesn't mangle the end of the dipstick tube.
  • The Dipstick tapers at least a 16th so if you mangle the bottom, it's not that big of a deal.