Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Want To Upgrade Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 334 Stroker Superram 222/230
Transmission: Full Manual 700R4 / 3k Street Edge
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Eaton, Moser, Richmond & More
Want To Upgrade Ignition

Well guys, yesterday I tore down my distributor cap to replace a suspect ignition module, and found out what aftermarket parts my ignition has. NONE! (Excluding the Jegs ignition module that was in there and Accel wires).

There is a sticker inside my engine bay, that indicates the car is equipped with MSD 6AL ignition. However, althought this may have been true at one time it is long gone now .

What I did find, was all economy parts by Delco-Remy. Like a past ignition system took a dump and previous owner bought economy parts from advance auto. Generic cap/coil and rotor with worn aluminum/steel contacts and now generic ignition module.

I'm looking to get performance out of this, but don't want to dig TOO deep into the wallet. As far as I'm concerned, the distributor itself has no current reason to be replaced. All distributors do the same thing. They spin in a circle. If this was a big block drag car, I might think different but It's a street car.

What I AM looking for however, Is a decent bang for my buck. I know upgrading ignition usually won't give you a seat of the pants feeling, but the peace of mind knowing this area has been taken care of with QUALITY parts would be great.

Here is a list of the parts I have been looking at. Please feel free to offer any pointers.

Digital Ignition Module:
http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/83645/10002/-1

Can this be used to replace a stock ignition module on Tuned Port Injection, or is this incompatible with my setup? Also, I see the only thing this part lacks compared to 6AL is the multispark feature. Is the multispark all It's cracked up to be, because buying this guy and just tossing it into the dizzy seems a hell of alot easier and cheaper than wiring up a 6AL control box.

Blaster 2 Coil:
http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/8203K/10002/-1

With the voltage being 45,000, does anyone know what I should gap my copper NGK plugs to?

Cap And Rotor:
http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/8416/10002/-1

External Coil Dust Cover:
http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/84011/10002/-1

Spark Plug Wires (I'll Be Sure To Get Boot Guards This Time ):
http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/31459/10002/-1

What do you guys think?
Old 09-29-2009, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 95 Z85 S10, 99 Formula
Engine: 4.3 CPI , LS1
Transmission: NV3500, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.42
Re: Want To Upgrade Ignition

i'm looking to do the same thing, i also looked at that ignition module. heres some of the things i'm looking at.

All from summit

Ignition Tune Up Kit
CMB-06-0052

Morso Super HEI ignition kit
MOR-72280

and since the Morso kit doesn't come with a module or coil, i was looking at the module you posted and this coil ACC-140003
Old 09-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

What have you done to need an improved ignition?

The stock ignition is fully adequate to handle a lot more than most street cars will need. Especially things like coils. And way more dependable than aftermarket stuff.

The only improvements you'll feel, are because of the lighter wallet you now carry.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Stephen
What have you done to need an improved ignition?

The stock ignition is fully adequate to handle a lot more than most street cars will need. Especially things like coils. And way more dependable than aftermarket stuff.

The only improvements you'll feel, are because of the lighter wallet you now carry.

Guess I wasn't clear enough:

Originally Posted by FireDemonSiC
I know upgrading ignition usually won't give you a seat of the pants feeling, but the peace of mind knowing this area has been taken care of with QUALITY parts would be great.
The addition of a rev limiter would be nice also in case of drive-line failure at WOT.

And per your predicted response I know that JUST a rev limiter could be purchased. I want to upgrade the entire setup from the generic economy crap that's on there now.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:54 AM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

While I agree with Stephen, if you're intent on installing new parts you need to be aware that your current ignition module is a seven pin for the coil in cap dist. The module you linked to won't be compatible.

The divorced coil modification was one of the hot things to do back when I was in high school. Don't really see it much anymore. Probably a reason for that.

It's also going to require you to modify portions of your engine harness to extend wires. Another potential point of failure that may be contrary to your intent.

Not sure I'd classify Delco-Remy as 'economy parts'. Although everyone has an opinion on such a subjective issue, they were a division of General Motors until 1994(?) unlike several other parts makers we could name.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Originally Posted by FireDemonSiC
Guess I wasn't clear enough:

The addition of a rev limiter would be nice also in case of drive-line failure at WOT.

And per your predicted response I know that JUST a rev limiter could be purchased. I want to upgrade the entire setup from the generic economy crap that's on there now.
You were perfectly clear. But if you think aftermarket has the lifespan & durability of OEM parts? AC Delco is anything but "generic". I can't remember the exact parts off-hand, but the coil, rotor & dizzy cap come to mind as parts that are routinely replaced with aftermarket stuff, for the owner to go back to later after the "hi performance" parts fail over & over, while giving no performance while they "worked".

MSD barely has to give you a warranty, unlike what the manufacturer did.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:16 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Stephen
You were perfectly clear. But if you think aftermarket has the lifespan & durability of OEM parts? AC Delco is anything but "generic". I can't remember the exact parts off-hand, but the coil, rotor & dizzy cap come to mind as parts that are routinely replaced with aftermarket stuff, for the owner to go back to later after the "hi performance" parts fail over & over, while giving no performance while they "worked".

MSD barely has to give you a warranty, unlike what the manufacturer did.

Now that I can't argue, since I haven't had any past experience with these parts. But I just gotta try my luck. I decided to go with a 2 step ignition control box. Digital 6. Heard that they're alot more reliable than the 6AL.