Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Losing oil big time

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 auburn limited slip
Losing oil big time

Hi all, its not really a camaro related question, but you seem to be a pretty knowledgeable crowd here, so in going to ask you anyways. I am losing my mind! Long story short. I have 1990 k2500 4x4. It has been sitting forever, and so happened my camaro needed an engine bad, so now its in the car. However, I rebuild a l98, and used stock truck heads on it. Heads were taken apart and hot tanked. Then I assembled them, but did not have any exaust valve seal that fit, so I left them off. (originally it did not have any). Anyways few weeks down the road, the engine is in the truck. start right up runs great. blue smoke on start up and take offs. So I end up buying the seals and putting them on (they were those oversize stem ones). smoke problem went away. Now here is the deal. I drive to work and back (about 80 miles total) and now its second time I drive it that far. Check my oil and its a quart low. fill it up. Drive same distance next day. quart low again. I keep putting it in and t just dissapears! No leaks anywhere, I crawled everywhere I swear. NOTHING. No blue smoke, ever. Runs strong. ONe thing thouhg. If I get on it more then half throttle it blows black smoke like a diesel. At first I thought it is rich, but now I have no idea. I am losing my mind, I cant figure out where my oil goes. I am losing a lot, but no sign of it burned (blue smoke right?) or leaks. Also its not white, and coolant is perfectly green (it has oil cooler). Let me know what you think it could possibly be. please. thanks
Old 11-10-2009, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Iroc Z 1990 RS 1991 RS
Engine: 454 soon 496
Transmission: Soon T56
Axle/Gears: 308 Posi
Re: Losing oil big time

One thing to check if its running rich is put your finger when cold. in the tail pipe and swipe. if it comes out black sooty usually running rich. now for the oil problem. No leaks hmmm. weird. If you were burning it that fast you would see blue smoke. checked the valve covers? maybe. i had a pin hole in the timing cover not same engine but it was blowing it by like that any oil in front of the timeing cover. Well all i can think of good luck.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 auburn limited slip

Thanks for a quick reply =). Thats what I was thinking, its HAS to go somewhere. I looked and looked and looked for leaks. dry . no oil. uhhh this is making me mad. I forgot to mention. I drove it for a while before driving it to work but when i noticed I was losing it it, I had to put in a whole gallon to get it back up to whre it needs to be. (it was not q gallon low at once but i put 2 quarts in 2 times in one day).now i just put in a quart every day. thats just not right. if I burned that much, where is the blue smoke? It had full oil in it when i first started it too
Old 03-02-2010, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86' IROC
Engine: 388
Transmission: Built 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.08 non-posi

Originally Posted by RussianVolk
Thanks for a quick reply =). Thats what I was thinking, its HAS to go somewhere. I looked and looked and looked for leaks. dry . no oil. uhhh this is making me mad. I forgot to mention. I drove it for a while before driving it to work but when i noticed I was losing it it, I had to put in a whole gallon to get it back up to whre it needs to be. (it was not q gallon low at once but i put 2 quarts in 2 times in one day).now i just put in a quart every day. thats just not right. if I burned that much, where is the blue smoke? It had full oil in it when i first started it too
Maybe a rear main seal? How is your oil pressure? How often are you getting on it?

I ask this because if your running an aftermarket electronic fuel pump and the mechanical is just blocked off...there are 2 holes in the front of the engine where oil can spew out when its at higher rpms...I doubt its quarts at a time but never know. Mine was doing it and threw oil all over the bottom of the hood where the belt was getting soaked.

Last edited by chas0218; 03-02-2010 at 04:55 PM.