Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Should I go fuel injection?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 15th anniversary Trans Am
Engine: 305 H.O. L69
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Should I go fuel injection?

Hey guys I am having some trouble figuring out what I am going to do with my car. My 82 trans am started out with factory 305 CrossFire fuel injection and I really liked it because it started a lot faster and seemed a lot smoother in acceleration ect. When the engine stopped running (had no idea why but figured it was the fuel pump) I took it off and converted over to a carb.
On the carbs maiden voyage the radiator hose blew and the engine overheated and hasn't ran since. I haven't tried to fix it because the stock engine is just a dog and I wanted more power so I decided to do a 350 swap.
Now I really want fuel injection on this 350 because of the dependability and the overall ease of use. I plan on building the engine pretty extensively with heads, pistons, cam, etc.so I will probably need to burn a prom for the computer. So what are my options as far as manifolds go? I will need something that can clear the stock 82 turbo hood as that is important to
the styling of my car and I would like to keep it stock looking.
I don't have a lot of experience with fuel injection so please dumb it down for me lol. Thanks guys I cant wait to start working on this
Old 12-31-2009, 03:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi
Re: Should I go fuel injection?

well FI is alot easier to manage, its pretty cut and dry too, hook it up, let her run lol and any aftermarket controller program will help you while building a motor, check into the prom forum itll give you some info on different programs, im gonna be running HP tuners on my LS swap, just a personal preference, look into different setups cuz you can either send away for a chip and be stuck with it, burn your own and hope like hell you didnt screw it up, get an EEPROM that you can erase ( middle ground) if you mess up you gotta pull it out and reflash it, orrrr you can get a setup that has a full EEPROM integrated into it so you can flash and tune on the fly, without having to drop the ecm, retry and retry etc

oh and if you run a TPI setup it should clear the hood, dont quote me on that though
good luck!