Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

TPI to Carb Swap advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPI to Carb Swap advice

Hey guys, Been a long time since I posted on this forum. Back in the day I had a 89 formula 350. Long story short started to rebuild the motor as a 383 and as the project carried over through the years , LT1 reverse intake, AFR heads I had, all got sold. As I progressed to the LT1 now to the LS1 cars. Current car is 2000 Ram air 6spd (WS9)

So im about to do a search which I have on the web already to my question. Unfortuanly everything I have found is old articles and information 6-7+ years old.

So what better people to ask then the source of TPI information

I know the TPI motor pretty much inside and out but what I don't know is all the new gizmos for it and cost of them now.

So to the point my old l98 short block is still sitting in my garage and I want to put in my 72 Buick skylark. I have a Chevy to Pontiac BOP tranny plate. So probably will bolt up a Pontiac 400 rock crusher tranny to the TPI. So as the title says im ditching the EFI for carb setup. I'm trying to build this on a budget yet get something out of the expensive motor I built and has been collecting dust since.

The questions I seek advice in are.

1/ What are probably the cheapest heads (bang for the buck) now days. Still the Vortech heads ? Or perhaps World Products heads ?

2/ Intake , best, cheapest for this. I know allot of companies now make them or did now they are harder to find.

3/ I have a eagle 383 block, LT4 hot cam , What heads out there will take that lift? I know shortly I left TPI they came out with replacement springs for stock heads to take that lift but....

4/ I somehow have lost all the front engine brackets. Is there any place that sells them or do I need to start hitting up Craig's list and junk yards?

5/ Distributor that will work. I found a article on the web that Chevy High Performance did and they listed a good replacement but again that was 7+ year old article

Anyhow I'm just trying to use parts I got laying around and build a budget motor that will put down 300-350rwhp. Saves me rebuilding the Buick motor that's about shot. So know this was long but thanks in advance for any advice or information you guys can provide me.

Last edited by RamSRT-10; 03-22-2010 at 09:55 AM.