Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Installing a Intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing a Intake manifold

This weekend I am going to start the tear down for an intake manifold I need to install, I am looking for some help; I am going to make this a slow process with pictures and lots of post. So I hopefully don’t screw it up.

This is an intake manifold (14102182) for a VIN E 305-170 (L03) 89 RS

I do have a couple questions before starting;
  • For some of the couplings I need to get flare nut wrenches, I am assuming they come as set any Ideas as to what sizes I should make sure I have to reduce trips to the store?
  • I need to disconnect the gas line by depressurizing it, how do I go about doing that if the car doesn't run?
  • I tracking down a new gasket, I keep reading about caulk in addition to the gasket. What kind and where does it go?

I think I will start with those three questions. Feel free to volunteer any advice or tips and tricks.

Extra info: I am replacing the manifold I was drilling out a broken bolt and buried a cobalt drill bit deep into the manifold. I do realize this is not a rock star engine and there are other manifolds out there that will help with that, for my first dive into work like this I am going with stock. Please keep your thoughts simple and feel free to over explainer things, I won't be offended.

I did do a search on the forum for this came up mostly dry, feel free to point me to any helpful post if it has been said before.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 82 firebird
Engine: 406
Re: Installing a Intake manifold

dont know what size flare tool you need but i bet its metric.

look for what looks like a tire valve in the fuel rail,push it down just like a tire valve to depressurize.

the silcon sealer goes on the four corners between the head and the block,it dont take much.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 357, Canfield heads, solid roller,
Transmission: Upgraded 03 Cobra T56
Axle/Gears: 9" 3.50 gears and Detroit Locker

If the car hasnt run in a while I doubt there will be any fuel pressure to worry about. Even if there is, it isnt much and by just loosening the fitting, it will all come out.

The silicone (not caulk) goes at the front and back of the intake. Dont use the little rubber strips some of the gasket sets come with. You will have a leak. Dont put a ton of silicone on, but dont go light either. I usually use a bead about 1/4". As for what type, I work for Ford so I get theirs for free. It seals extremely good. From a parts store though, I would use either the black or the grey.

Other than that, an intake swap is very simple. Once you get them down, they take less than an hour to do. Just dont forget to drain the radiator first, and to lay down towels or napkins in the lifter valley when scraping off the old gaskets. You need to make sure nothing drops down in the intake and coolant ports on the heads also. I usulally stuff rags down all the ports. I also will put a thin film of silicone around the water ports on the heads and intake. I mean a film, not a bead. The heads usually will have some pitting in this area so the silicone helps to seal it.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:26 AM

Thanks guys picked up the wrenches and waiting on manifold delivery.Got started though removed the air cleaner.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:28 AM

Then drained radiator.

This is the drain plug.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:40 AM

Disconnected the battery, why yes that is a golf club holing up the hood. It's just providing moral support though.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:12 AM

Removed a couple hoses up front, broke one it was rotted, maybe someone can tell me which ones they were.

Broke the top one

Labeled all of the wires to the distributor. and took them off.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:33 AM

First experience with Flare nut wrenches went weill removed the front one looks like break line ?

The nozzle for that hose I broke is right in the center of the photo . The hose is 10" long in a L shape.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:51 AM

We are I am assuming going to need to remove some of this how do we disconnect the accelerator linkage?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:54 AM

Be back and working this evening. Sprayed newly uncovered bolts with PB, Lunch time and some shopping with wife.

Dog is my copilot
Old 06-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Banned

the cable with the black end? i belive there is a release on the back side and then it will slide forward...kinda hard to tell from the pics when i enlarge them so i can see them they get real fuzzy. maybe sombody with good eyes can tell better
Old 06-12-2010, 06:13 PM

OK I am done for a while I have all day on Sunday to pick up. I picked up a intake manifold gasket and new drain plug for the radiator while I was out.

I need to disconnect the accelerator linkage which I have taken some new pictures of.

Top view

Also there are some electrical connections going into the manifold. (the red,blue and yellow,green wires)

If you go to my website you can see it bigger
Old 06-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 357, Canfield heads, solid roller,
Transmission: Upgraded 03 Cobra T56
Axle/Gears: 9" 3.50 gears and Detroit Locker

On the throttle linkage, if I remember right, there is a black clip at the back of. The side closest to the firewall. You just pull it back a little and pull the linkage foward and it will come off.

The wires are for the injectors. Just squeeze the tabs to get the wires off. The ring you see at the top of the throttle body will come off. Then just pull the wires off of the throttle body. You will see a rubber grommet in the side of the throttle body.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:07 AM

built91Z28 you rock,

Never would have seen that gasket without that hint. Removed the linkage working on some bolts. Gearing up toward the distributor.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:36 PM

Removed a bunch of stuff and tackled the distributor removed the bracket, marked and out.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:43 PM

Should I cut the hose? This bracket is really tight and backwards, I can’t get it to move at all. Its the bigger hose in the middle of the picture that goes into the back of the intake manifold , it leads to the fire wall, it is really crimped in the middle as goes forward then right backward to the fire wall.

Last edited by 89RSRedConv; 06-13-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:05 PM

Car: '86 Z28, '91 RS
Engine: 305ci, 305ci
Transmission: TH200c (no kidding), TH700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73, 2.73

You can't get a 1/4 drive socket in there? Looks like you can to me, could be wrong. Or is the bolt stripped?

You could cut it though AFAIK but you may have to replace the hose. I would replace that hose clamp either way, it looks well spent.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:13 PM

You are going to have to get that clamp off of there unless you have a new hose fitting for the new manifold. If you don't you have to swap it to the new manifold so you can hook that hose up.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:01 AM

Done for right now, still waiting on the new intake manifold to arrive, it is coming from Maryland via USPS. I did pick up the gasket and some silicon to seal it up. Right now we are looking at the hose that will have to be replaced and a bunch of bolts, I should be able to shimmy the manifold out. I am looking forward to putting everything back together.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:06 PM

After you have done it, it is easy. I just put a new engine in my truck and my dumb *** used the rubber gaskets on the front and rear... Yah, 5 test drives, LOTS of swearing and some more money at the part store and it took me maybe 1 HR to pull the old one, and put the new one on. Let it sit for 3 days (No time to mess with it) and tada, ran like a champ.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:36 AM

Well it is out, finally. First I cut the offending hose, then I went after all the bolts which went easily until the last one, it was not stuck I just had the ratchet upside down and kept hitting the button, so I was loosening it -hitting the button - tightening it hitting the button - loosening it and so on. It took me a couple minuets to figure it out. /sigh. Well put the screw driver in and popped it loose.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Banned

lol...glad to see im not the only one that happens too. did you get the new intake?
Old 06-20-2010, 12:14 PM

Yup and got a gasket cleaning up the old gasket, now I know why no one wants to do this what a mess. I may let ti dry out and use the shop vac to pull any additional stuff out of the middle there.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:22 PM

And the Intake manifold is in.

My problems are a couple:

The bolts there were a few different lengths, unfortunately I did not notice when taking them out, i did try to put them back in order but we will have o see how it works out.

I can not seem to remove the piece shown below , I may have to get a new one. So um… what is it?
Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 AM
Banned

looks like a vacum port. is it between the carb and distrebuter? i know i have one there but i dont remember what it goes to off hand. i will look a little later if someone else dosent know.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:57 AM

Yes, I got a PM saying the same thing vacuum port, now I just need to go to Pep Boys to see if I can track one down, that would seem easier than it will end up being I am sure.

I also need to start replacing hoses, as the car sat for 5 years and dry rot has taken a toll. Should I go hose by hose and get replacements? What is your thoughts on per-formed vs of the roll cut? Does someone sell a set of hose?

Once the new EGR arrives I am going to start tackling putting it back together. I have a torque wrench and I am ready to go.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:16 PM

What are you using to try to take off that vacuum fitting? It comes off really easily with a box wrench which you should have if you do any kind of automotive work.

If you get a new one you are going to have to put it on the same way this one comes off.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:51 PM

I shopped around a bit, um lets just say I am glad I found this message board. If I had to rely on those guys I would be in trouble.

Doom86 - You are right, while nothing has come out of the old intake manifold easy, I spayed with some PB again and hooked up the box wrench and put my considerable weight in it. It came out so I am going to clean it up and put it in the new one.

So waiting for the new EGR and some gaskets to arrive. I also have to pick up a gasket for the air intake.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Banned

i like the form fitted hoses...but ill bet i dont have any on my car mostly because im very low budget and i have one fuel line one vacume for the dist. one for the brake booster and one for the pvc valve and thats it. off the roll works fine but the form fit look better imo.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:28 PM

Sadly I knew there was no heat, on the post-it I wrote while talking to the owner and it says clearly NO Heat. I am going to claim that I was to excited to remember,but more to the point I have no idea how the heater in a car works.

OK what did I get done before company showed up. Lots, and one setback.

You can see the new fitting with the hose attached and the distributor in .

You can see we are in good shape, except for the hose that will crimp when the air filter is on. The owner told me that there was a blockage in the system. I am hoping it was the thermostat, which was rusted shut. How would I determine if it is not flowing?

Now to the problem:

I broke this

Yea snapped the plastic off so it does not latch. Any thoughts?
Old 06-26-2010, 10:21 PM

that's the TV cable for the transmission.

Do you have a picture of where it's broken?

You will have to adjust it too since you swapped manifolds.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:28 AM

The plastic that snaps it on is broken, I rigged it up to stay connected. now the engine is smoking a bit and idling way to high. See the movie. http://fatsquirrel.us/F-body/?p=241
I will check the book I have but how do you go about making adjustments?
Old 06-29-2010, 12:59 AM

Yes you will need to adjust the TV cable now that you have swapped manifolds.

It could be the throttle cable is pulled too tight. The cruise control maybe out of adjustment now too. A quick check of taking off the throttle cable at the throttle body could show if the cables too tight. When I swapped from stock to a Performer RPM intake's on my LG4 car I had this problem.

There could also be a big vacuum leak. Make sure the air cleaners crank case vent is hooked up on the passenger side head too.

That smoke looks a lot like burning oil, could be coming from the crankcase or on a header.

Sorry not much help on this one good luck though.