Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Fuel hose between fuel pump and sending unit ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel hose between fuel pump and sending unit ???

What other brand of fuel hose can we use in place of that one that comes with the fuel pump when you are replacing it? I know that piece on my car is Toast and is melted away ! I have spark but no fuel and I hear the pump turn on when I turn the key. Dropped the fuel filter and cranked the car and NO FUEL, so I know im right. I replaced the pump about 4 yrs ago but its been sitting since . and now that i want to drive the car again I know i need to replace it.

and of course it is fun when you have to drop the tank because I REFUSE to cut an access panel on it. I've seen some hack jobs on access doors and only 1 or 2 nice clean jobs. but I just cant seem to do that to mine.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Fuel hose between fuel pump and sending unit ???

You mean that little short piece of hose above the pump before it gets to the hardline? Stock setups used a "pulsator" or some weird piece of hose there to reduce fuel pump noise. For what you're doing, any good quality EFI-approved fuel hose (not regular vacuum hose or carburetor fuel hose) should do the trick. Might be a little noisier, but it will work just fine and last a good long time. Lots of guys on this board have done this swap.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

just hit autozone, the fuel line they sell is FI approved goodyear hose, printed right on the hose for fuel injection. [got some today for my return line leak.]

Last edited by Gumby; 06-20-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Originally Posted by Damon
You mean that little short piece of hose above the pump before it gets to the hardline? Stock setups used a "pulsator" or some weird piece of hose there to reduce fuel pump noise..
Any idea why it's called "pulsator"?

I ask because, when trying to adjust my fuel pressure, I get to a point on the upper end where the regulator will ake a ticking noise, and my fuel pressure guage needle will bounce with the ticks - when I saw "pulsator" made me think of that.

This is on a TBI to Carb conversion, using the stock TBI pump in tank with a Mallory 4309 regulator Edelbrock carb. I'm having a hard time with fuel pressure - it doesn't stay set, it moves. I tried a new guage, and it reads 12psi where the old guage read anywhere from 2psi to 10 psi. I can't adjust fp below 8psi according to the brand new guage - opening the valve any farther and it falls out the top of the reg. Even tried another 4309 I had laying around with same results - so both reg operate identically, but the different guages tell different readings. Been having issues with bogging down on occasion, hard starting on occasion (like it's flooded).

{sorry for the thread jack}
Old 06-20-2010, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah Damn that little stock hose about the fuel pump is what I was talking about.

thanks for the input I will hit up Auto Zone and get some of that Goodyear FI hose !!