Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Need help with Harmonic Balancer :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with Harmonic Balancer :(

Hey thanks for looking, i have a 1986 Trans Am with the 5.0 305 TPI and was driving it one day and i heard a "clunk" on my car, pulled over and started to hear a noise... turns out the outer part of my HB had come off... here are some pics

as you can see, i am going to have to buy a harmonic balancer. my questions are how do i go about taking it out without having to take apart my entire front end (i.e taking out my radiator), also do you think i may have damaged my crank (what are some symptoms?), and what balancer should i buy (OEM of Aftermarket)? thanks
Old 10-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Need help with Harmonic Balancer :(

Buy a standard stock replacement balancer. You don't need anything more than that. It's a typical 6-3/4" unit with a common 1:30 position timing mark- available anywhere quality auto parts are sold!

You just need to remove the belts, unbolt the crank pulley (3 perimeter bolts, one big bolt in the center) and use a balancer puller to get the old one off. Then you install the new balancer using a balancer installer tool (separate and different tool from the puller). Then bolt on the crank pulley and put the belts back on.

No massive front end removal procedure required. Especially easy to do if you can get it on a lift and do it from underneath.