Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

throttle body coolant bypass.. using A/C?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
throttle body coolant bypass.. using A/C?

I am not an engineer by any means but Ive been reading about throttle body coolant bypass.

General principle, whether it really means something or not is that because warm liquid is being pumped into the TB, it causes the air incoming to heat up.

WELL... What if we ran our air conditioning's fluid through the throttle body instead? Would this not cool the incoming air? Run an extension of our air conditioner's fluid system just after passing through the condenser? Would it need an additional pump to move the fluid? Would the required components to do this simply cancel out any gain we may have achieved?

I am merely just speculating and not by any means do i plan on doing this, just looking for theoretical discussion here.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt - 2.77
Re: throttle body coolant bypass.. using A/C?

Coolant going thru the TB is to prevent the TB from icing in colder climates. It also heats the air going in the TB but you want cooler air discharge to make more few extra HP and thats why people bypass the coolant going to the TB. In warm climates, you dont have to worry about the TB icing when bypassing the coolant. Theroretically, you could plumb the AC system to the TB to cool the incoming air but I dont think it would be logical. You would have to run the AC all the time to pump coolant thru the TB and that would rob gas mileage for what little gains in HP you would get, plus I would be afraid of freezing the TB. If you wanted to keep the belt driven AC compressor from running all the time to do this, you would have to get an electric AC compressor to pump the freon. Money, time, and effort, wouldnt be worth it for me for such little gains.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
Re: throttle body coolant bypass.. using A/C?

That's a lot of work for .01 HP that you can't use at WOT.