Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Help needed two days till car show!! - low power at mid to wot after egr cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Iroc Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Help needed two days till car show!! - low power at mid to wot after egr cleaning

Hello gents!

Any help would be very much appreciated!! I've got an 86 tpi motor that I just pulled the egr on and cleaned and now I'm having issues at mid to wide open throttle..there is a lack of power and stumbling/random misfire under those conditions in drive only. In park it revs up perfectly. When I first rebuilt the intake it wouldn't start at all without giving it gas and got codes 33 and 34..I think that was from the throttle body cleaning throwing the min air and tps out of whack.. Reset the idle iac and tps and all is good with start up. Codes are gone.

Here's what's done so far:
Cleaned egr and installed with all new gaskets for egr, runners, and throttle body
Verified all vacuum lines connected correctly
Cleaned throttle body and plate
Reset iac and min air rpms to 450 using instructions from here and reset tps to .5 idle/ 4.5v wot - both iac and tps replaced within 1000 miles. Verified tps voltage steps up correctly as throttle opens.
Verified vacuum reading of 16 at idle, snaps to 1-2 and up to 21/22 with a throttle snap
Verified fuel pressure at rail with regulator vacuum lines plugged at 41psi
Ohm'd all injectors at 16 ohms, verified they are firing with stethescope.
No visible spark arcing to the headers.
Cleaned maf
Brand new o2 sensor with less that 100 miles

I assume being that it's a drive only issue that it's a sensor reading but I'm out of ideas. Help! Really looking forward to getting her to this show Tuesday.