Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

INFL. REST. and starting problems.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L LH0
Transmission: 700R4
INFL. REST. and starting problems.

I haven't been driving my '91 Firebird recently, due to the insane amount of snow we get where I live. So I would only get to take it out once a month or so when there would be a break in the weather. Yesterday I drove it with no problems, however last night when I went to drive it back to my house, it wouldn't start. Lights came on, and everything, but the engine couldn't quite turn over, although it would click quite a few times in repetition. Being as I was close to home, I decided to just leave it parked in the parking lot, and walk home so I could jump it when it wasn't dark, and raining. I jumped it successfully today, and decided to drive it a little to get the battery charged, but it seems like it only lost power.

When I would press the brakes, I could watch my voltage meter drop below 8v, so I decided to turn around and head home. My turn signals would cause the RPM's to dip, so I had to abandon using them. It got progressively worse to the point where braking caused my speedometer to drop 10mph, and my radio display was just flickering on and off (the radio itself was off). However, once it started to get really bad, my INFL. REST. light came on. I managed to get it home, and parked, but don't know really where to start.

It sounds kind of like it might be a bad alternator, but I haven't dabbled in the electrical aspects of my car before. I read about problems similar to this on the forums, but none really gave a definitive answer that I could find. Hoping for a little guidance, thanks in advance.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: INFL. REST. and starting problems.

Remove the alternator and the battery, and take them to any local auto parts store - they will test both for free.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers
Re: INFL. REST. and starting problems.

Camaronewbie is right. I'd say the alternator is dead and if it's not dead already, youre battery as well since you put a huge strain on it driving it down that far. Your onboard volt meter should always read 13-14 volts if it's working. You were running on the battery so when you jumped it, it was ok...until the battery wore down again.