Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Ignition key..HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Z28
Transmission: 700R4
Ignition key..HELP.

I wasn't sure which section to post this in, so mods move if necessary please.

My friends 91 RS has the key stuck in the ignition in the run position. The key will still turn to the start position and release to the run position like it should, but thats all. It will not turn back to the accessory or off position. It's bound up somehow. We tried gently tapping the lock cylinder with a hammer (very gently) to see if we could get it to free up and that did nothing at all. We had to umplug the injectors (TBI) and starve the engine, and then disconnect the battery. The car does have VATS so that obviously is gonna be an issue if we have to replace the lock cylinder. Any tips on how to ge this thing to free up?
Old 03-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: Ignition key..HELP.

Is it all the way in park?

There is a cable, in the center console, that runs from shifter to the ignition switch (not the key cylinder, but the actual switch). If the cable is busted, then the ignition switch will not release the rod that goes to the key cylinder, and thus the key can't be turned.

The key cylinder only does one thing - it pushes a small rod in/out of the actual ignition switch. That cable from the shifter locks and unlocks the ignition switch so that the rod can move (or not move if car is in other than park).

So, you could have a busted cable from shifter to the ignition switch (less likely), or could have a broken ignition switch (more likely).

Under the dash, there are two larger nuts that hold the bracket that the underdash panels attaches to, remove those and remove bracket. Then, there are two more nuts same place that hold the steering column up to the dash, remove those, and allow the column to come down and rest on it's own bundle of wires. Then you'll see the ignition switch on the top of the column.

There are two very small phillips head screws in the side of the ignition switch that hold the cable from the shifter to the switch itself - those have to be removed, and the cable removed from the switch, before the switch can be removed from the steering column.

DON'T lose those screws, or the cable ends, or any of the pieces that help hold the cable inside the switch - not all of the replacements are identical, and you might have to reuse your factory stuff inside the new ignition switch. What I'm referring to is a kind of key (like the little metal key on a harmonic balancer) that holds the shifter cable inplace inside the switch - it will fall out, don't lose it.

Sounds like a huge PITA, it's really not that bad - I'm just trying to describe to you so you'll know what to look for and how it all works. When I changed mine, I had to use some old parts inside the new switch to make the shifter cable work as the replacement was slightly different inside, and I'm just trying to kind of warn you of this possibility.

This is the ignition switch you are looking for: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search

This all assumes you have an automatic car - it's going to be a different switch part number maybe for a manual, and that switch I posted link to is for my 1992 car - anyone with an earlier non-VATS car might have a different switch part number as well.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Z28

Yeah, the car is an automatic. we put in and out of park several times but it made no difference. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but if the that cable breaks, your still able to cut the car off, you just cant take the key out. Just like turning the engine off while the car is still in drive, you can cut it off, you just can't take the key out. Right?
Old 03-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

No - that cable keeps the key tumbler from turning - so if the switch or the cable in the switch or the cable itself has an issue, you won't be able to remove the key.