Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Camaro electrically dies when an attempt to start is made

Old 09-29-2015, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1 L OHV V6...Maybe a 350 one day
Transmission: Good ol 5 speed
Camaro electrically dies when an attempt to start is made

Okay so, I get in my car. Insert the key and turn once to "on". Everything's fine. I turn the key a little more to "acc" and its fine. However, when I turn it to "run" it dies for a second. Everything dies. The radio the dash everything shuts off momentarily.
I have to rapidly turn the key and feather the gas to get her going. Ive replaced the starter already. Now I'm eyeballing the distributer but my step dad says that it might be the ignition because of the key. It has a chip in it.I'm kind of defeated on this. Its a 92 Camaro RS. V6 standard. I don't know much about cars yet so go easy please.

Last edited by Gunner242; 10-03-2015 at 09:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-03-2015, 08:10 AM

Re: Engine dies when key is turned

Originally Posted by Gunner242
Okay so, I get in my car. Insert the key and turn once to "on". Everything's fine. I turn the key a little more to "acc" and its fine. However, when I turn it to "run" it dies for a second. Everything dies. The radio the dash everything shuts off momentarily.
I have to rapidly turn the key and feather the gas to get her going. Ive replaced the starter already. Now I'm eyeballing the distributer but my step dad says that it might be the ignition because of the key. It has a chip in it.I'm kind of defeated on this. Its a 92 Camaro RS. V6 standard. I don't know much about cars yet so go easy please.
Okay still no help guys? Ive been fidgeting around. Checking if maybe the battery cables weren't tight or if I didn't connect the starter correctly.
When I had the old starter from who knows when, It at least clicked and tried to turn over. After I inserted the new one, no noise was heard at all. Also It might be the battery because 2 weeks ago I had to use my warranty at Wally world to get a new battery and it started just fine. This would be the third battery I get for this car in a month If I go today. The hood light always turns on but now its not so It might be the battery.
Some help would be appreciated on why my car is a battery eater. But I am going to go get another battery. Stand by for results.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10 D44
Re: Camaro electrically dies when an attempt to start is made

First, pay attention to cause and effect.
- You're jiggling the key, yet looking at the starter or battery as a problem.
- The engine is already running, and you're looking at the starter as a problem.

It sounds like your ignition switch either a) has a burned contact (interrupting power flow), or b) is out of adjustment (landing between functions). Either way, you have to drop the steering column to access the electrical switch, NOT the key cylinder, which is on top of the column, closer to the firewall than the mounting bracket.

The switch is acc-lock-off-run-bulb test/start. Start is a temporary, spring-loaded position. When you release the key, it will spring back from start to run.

When you insert the key, the ignition is in the LOCK position. If you turn it once, you are either going;
CCW - to ACC, and the radio turns on, or..
CW1 - to the OFF position, and nothing should work.
Turn a second time...
CCW2 - there is no Counter-ClockWise position 2.
CW2 - to the ON/RUN position. Radio comes on, along with gauges.
Turn a third time...
CW3 - is START. The radio turns off. Lights light up in bulb check. I think gauges max up during the check, and the starter fires.

Look at the below diagram:
  • ACC - radio
  • RUN - windows, A/C, wipers, radio, ignition
  • START - ignition, starter
Or looking at it from the device:
  • Radio - ACC & RUN
  • Ignition - RUN & START
Old 10-03-2015, 11:41 AM

Re: Engine dies when key is turned

The hood light always turns on but now its not so It might be the battery.
Some help would be appreciated on why my car is a battery eater. But I am going to go get another battery. Stand by for results.
Is there something draining the battery? Can you simply put a charger on the car for a while and have it back to normal? If so, you have a circuit that is drawing power when the car is off.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:47 PM

[QUOTE=MoJoe;5967637]First, pay attention to cause and effect.
- You're jiggling the key, yet looking at the starter or battery as a problem.
- The engine is already running, and you're looking at the starter as a problem.ok

It sounds like your ignition switch either a) has a burned contact (interrupting power flow), or b) is out of adjustment (landing between functions). Either way, you have to drop the steering column to access the electrical switch, NOT the key cylinder, which is on top of the column, closer to the firewall than the mounting bracket.

This is horrendous. Wires tangled everywhere, schools and papers stashed by the column falling out. All types of wires not connected. But im looking.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:34 PM

That's a bunch of gobbledegook. I think you can SEE the switch (white) in the background, or at least, close to where it is.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Transam GTA Notchback
Engine: 2003 Chevy 5.3 Vortec (325 cu)
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.27

From the picture it looks like someone tried installing an alarm at one point ... and well ... it didnt go so well

Check all your grounds and power wires. From my guess, it seems someone tapped into a power wire and perhaps some of the copper strands of wire broke thus creating voltage drop.

My alternator power wire that tells it when to turn on was holding on by one strand- barely charging at 12volts. As soon as I corrected this it shot up to 14 volts
Old 12-25-2015, 04:49 PM

Hey guys im baaaack. Its all good. I finally gave up and took it to a pro. "Chasco Auto Electric inc". They removed the whole alarm system for me and said they found a few bad grounds. Also they said my fuel pump was pumping like only one pound or something like that. They fixed it all and even replaced all my bulbs for free.