Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Head unit wires crossed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 10:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Trans am
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Head unit wires crossed?

The aftermarket head unit only turns on when the key is turned to start, but not accessory and the car won't save presets or the time, ect. I took it out and found the previous owner wired all four red and yellow wires together (one is constant power for memory and the other is switched power for turning the amp on I think). But when I rewired them red to red and yellow to yellow like it should be, the radio doesn't turn on an all. What is going on here and how do I fix it?
Old 08-11-2015, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Re: Head unit wires crossed?

Originally Posted by ZsTransAm
The aftermarket head unit only turns on when the key is turned to start, but not accessory and the car won't save presets or the time, ect. I took it out and found the previous owner wired all four red and yellow wires together (one is constant power for memory and the other is switched power for turning the amp on I think). But when I rewired them red to red and yellow to yellow like it should be, the radio doesn't turn on an all. What is going on here and how do I fix it?

It sounds like the wiring coming in had issues so he just hooked it up any way he could make it work. You said you re wired them red to red, yellow to yellow. Does it have a harness that plugs into the factory harness? In aftermarket radios, the yellow is usually the constant for clock, presets, that kind of thing. The red wire turns the radio on and off. They usually have a blue/white stripe wire called remote turn on for an amp. Sometimes if it doesn't have that, you may have to use the power antenna wire. I doubt the factory wiring is red and yellow so that's why I ask if there is an aftermarket wiring harness.