Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

tpi swap lose of throttle

Old 04-30-2011, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 formula ws6
Engine: 355 tpi OBDII
Transmission: 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73 with 4th gen brakes
tpi swap lose of throttle

now dont bash too hard but i swapped an 89 tpi motor into my 91 formula that was currently tbi. was driving great with no codes for over 2 weeks. then i had a blip if you wanna call it, lose of throttle. meaning you hit the pedal and nothing would happen but a bog. got it home as it only lasted 10 seconds at most. plugged in my snap on modis and my fuel pressure guage to capture all info i could. got an exhuast lean code, figure ok whats my pressures at all points. at idle when ok 37psi, idle messing up 41-45 psi, under load it doesnt change much maybe 1-3 psi. when its running ok at idle my ecm commands pulse width of my injectors around 2 m/s. when messing up it commands up over 4.4m/s. i do have good spark. i am a full time mechanic with a transportation company so i have all tools for testing stuff. time not so much of unfortunately. now i did find that when i did my dash swap i miss routed my dash harness and it chaffed against the dash frame. repaired all burnt wiring which turned out to be the ecm ign and the ecm bat and the acc power. re routed and all is hunky dory. go to drive to work the next day and its running better then it has so far, stop to meet with the g/f and let it sit for 15 mins or so, go to get in and its running just as bad as before. went to work for my 9 hours and go back to the car, starts right up and i drove the 11 miles home without a hiccup. same info applies. if there is more info needed to give an idea ask as i recorded it all.
now to list the new parts replaced during swap
distributor
cap
rotor
wires
ecm
opsu
all seals
plugs
injectors
visibly damaged wiring
coil
iac
maf and associated relays

now im not sure if its unrelated yet but i haven't had a working tcc, i pulled the whole drivetrain from a wrecked z and i drove it around to get it heated before it was pulled. tomorrow i will be getting ohm readings from sensors and solenoids just to add to my long story. as at this point money is a factor there is no going speed density. i have had these maf set ups sitting around in my storage for 4 yrs and my tbi motor chugged its last chug so i used what i had to get my dd back. thanks in advance for any useful or even dumb ideas as a dumb idea can spark a good point.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:30 AM

Re: tpi swap lose of throttle

also when this lose of throttle happens it refuses to rev over 1100 rpm if im lucky. does this hot or cold but more so hot. have changed out the icm with a good gm part with proper heat soaking dielectric grease. my tach is also all over the place. its late so dont kill me for the second post
Old 04-30-2011, 08:43 PM

Re: tpi swap lose of throttle

huh no responses? well i got 908 ohms from my pick up coil, fixed 1 bad sensor ground on the back of the head, hooked up my charcoal canister fully and it still does this. i started pulling fuses tonight when it was acting up and when i pulled injector 2 fuse it smoothed out, parameters all started reading normal but obviously something isnt right if only one side of injectors is firing? gonna try to ohm out the new injectors later on tonight or tomoro if i get a chance.